PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: PS2 Mod 2016-18: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay, going to try a new, clean DL of PS2 Doom via USB. At this point I've edited the text file and swapped .wads with no luck. I saw a post on PS2 Home forum that a user needed doom1.wad in the folder for it to work. I only have doomu.wad for the first episodes. Will try that too.

Also, assuming you edit the .cfg file to point the .elf at the respective Doom wad/map pack such a 1, u, 2, etc.

My drive to run Doom on every device might finally get me to start a PS2 Home forum account!

I'd love to see Retro Arch on the PS2. I really enjoy pushing the PS2. My PS2 NES emu broke recently. I upgraded my .boot file at some point to support POPS on HDD. I believe I also updated FMCB. Not sure if that was the hang up or if my USB is just too crowded. I remember some apps running better on a clean USB. Of course my PC & oXbox run NES great. Why do I care then... lol good question. I think the tinkering & pushing the PS2 is half the fun.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Here's a nice .elf that will allow you to easily turn your PS2 console off from the dashboard once mapped as a shortcut. Works great.

http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301

I try to use a wireless controller so this further encourages my laziness lol. In all seriousness, my PS2 remote only works with my slim (built in IR). The remote IR dongle doesn't work for the phat which is my go to modded console due to the HDD so this is a welcome edition to my dashboard.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay... good news. Got NES emu back up. Sure, it's a novelty but cool to see NES, GB, & Genesis Emulators mapped to my homescreen. I used below:

FCEUmm-PS2 NES Emulator by infval
http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5406

I also finally made a PS2 Home account. Plan on getting more involved, staying up on recent happenings, & friggin getting PS2 Doom running... when I have it running a minimum of 2 other places :lol:

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Thanks to JayJay over at PS2 Home forums, got the Doom PS2 homebrew port running off USB... with OPL at that! I know nightrnr loves some Doom.

Troubleshooting steps I took:
- I used the ISO file JayJay pointed out in their original thread, the ISO compiled "DOOM_123.45.DoomX1XXSharewareXVersionX.rar"
http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic ... 341#p13341
- I got my USB OPL game right... moved over to a clean Fat32 USB
- Tested another retail game (Grandia II) to ensure OPL & USB were working
- Moved Doom ISO file to CD folder
- OPL then recognized the ISO, but got hung up on boot
- Remove component cables, try composite.... LCDs...
- BOOM! WORKED.

Some images for fun below and proof of concept for Doom fans. This is the shareware version. I may eventually compile another with Ultimate Doom but happy with this for now.

Recognized in OPL:

To my surprise, there is a .wad selector menu. hard to read, I know but you use D pad to select (only 1 option here):

Running well:

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Cool development made today for me... my LCD hates 240p over component. That means no PS1 games (retail or images via POPS) over component. Let's fix that!

Make sure you're on this version of POPS:
POPStarter Revision 13, Build Date : 2017/10/20, RIP 06 PUBLIC RELEASE
PUBLIC RELEASE - RIP 06: POPStarter_r13_RIP_06.zip
http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1819

Download CHEATS.TXT found here:
http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6396

Depending on method, place CHEATS.TXT into >
the USB VMC folder for the respective game
the hdd0:/__common/POPS/Game name/

NOW I CAN PLAY MY PS1 GAMES OVER COMPONENT!

Sure some 240p purist will hate it, but it's a lot better than swapping out my cables when I jump from PS2 to PS1. Also, I felt like I was going to wear out that AV port eventually :lol:

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

PS1 in 480p over component is also possible.

Throw "$480p" in the CHEATS.TXT file.

They look awesome and crisp. Assuming it's doing some kind of line doubling. Small caveat, on my Vizio forcing PS1 to 480p creates small jail bars on top & bottom. This is not the case for 480i.

I haven't messed around with forcing widescreen yet.

List of POPS cheats such as 480p, widescreen, etc
https://bitbucket.org/ShaolinAssassin/p ... ial-cheats

POPS game compatibility modes:
https://bitbucket.org/ShaolinAssassin/p ... patibility

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Here's a cool PS2 themed ULauch Skin (attachment) for anyone looking to make the file browser look a bit nicer. I must admit, looks much better than the notepad-ish stock format.
[credit to fine folks at PS2 Home forum for the image]

I pretty much live in the file browser area and tinker with many files, but know it is possible to set up a GUI that makes it look more like a dashboard within Ulauch icons for your must have apps:

Guide here if interested:
http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2222
Attachments
classic2_640x480_ntsc.jpg
classic2_640x480_ntsc.jpg (28.84 KiB) Viewed 12268 times

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Cool development...

FINALLY HAVE SEGA CD GAMES RUNNING IN PICO DRIVE!!! :D

See pic below. I was just playing some Snatcher! I had to rename the BIOS files and place in main Pico Drive directory. Booted right up with save states working.

I now have the following Emus running on the PS2. Pretty cool to see 8 retro systems running off the ol' PS2.
NES - FCEU
SNES - SNES Station
Sega Master System - PSMS
Sega Game Gear - PSMS
Sega Genesis - PGEN
Sega Genesis - PicoDrive
Sega-CD - PicoDrive
Gameboy - PS2InfoGB (r. 6c)
Gameboy Color - PS2InfoGB (r. 6c)

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Man, you've made some long strides, no thanks to me, I'm sure.
Those new interface options look really nice. Think I'll keep it boring for now, but I'll have to try it on at least one system (perhaps my slim).

I think the only reason I'd want Doom as an iso install is so I could use VMC saves. Otherwise, I've come full circle and prefer the USB method for IWAD loading.

Sega CD, on the other hand, needs the faster connection of HDD to load most games without choppiness.

Oddly enough, I think I may dedicate an old PC for Sega CD (and Neo CD, and a couple others) (or continue with Xbox), but it's still cool to have the option on PS2.

Anyways, time for system tinkering is limited these days for me. But let me know if you still need anything (like my Doom config file). I do try to keep current on your posts.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I've had some fun!

Yeah, loading the Doom wads via the menu is much more convenient. You can make the dedicated ISOs (OPL boot) for each wad via the steps on PS2 Home. I just DLed the available one (Doom shareware). The basic Doom .elf just didn't want to load for me. I may revisit it eventually... or make 4 or so ISOs (ultimate, 2, TNT, Final) to load via OPL :lol:

I noticed Snatcher was choppier on some boots than others on my PS2 via USB. Seemed intermittent but I could see the HDD helping. There's also having to mess with music & CCDA files. It is nice KEGA/Fusion can boot up those stock .bin/.cues easily with no background music issues or mp3 tinkering. Funny enough, similar to your thought, I just placed Kega on my laptop (only 1 of 2 emus on that machine) to easily play Sega CD. It was still fun pushing the PS2 as always!

I just got my hands on the a chipped PS1 to cover those games POPS doesn't work with. If I disappear... I've started DQVII 8)