PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: My PS2 Soft Mod Project 2016: Progress, Experience, & Q/

Post by Jagosaurus »

Wanted to post an update, currently have the following emulators up and running. Links were available in 2016 for anyone reading this later. I have saved copies to my local USB.

NES - FCEU
SNES - SNES Station
Master System - PSMS*
Game Gear - PSMS
Sega Genesis - PGEN**
Gameboy - PS2InfoGB (r. 6c)
Gameboy Color - PS2InfoGB (r. 6c)

*See link in nightrnr's previous post for PSMS. The readily available link via Google is an outdated version that requires manual typing of ROM list in notepad.

**The only readily available PGEN link I could get to work via USB loading was PGENCJ_ABCD_PATCH_48BIT

Save states seem to be a bit touchy. The files are large and the write paths are touchy. Some like MCo: better the mass: (usb). Just toy with it for a bit if your planning on using saves heavily for a certain game.

I really wanted to play PS2 ISOs... I've got a bit distracted :lol: Thanks for help with the emu guys. Will back on track eventually with the .isos.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Okay, so that version of PSMS is definitely the right button mapping (yea!). Too bad you can't change it like on fceu, but I would only want to do that for Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Zillion.

I know a little more about the emulators than most. Some come in hdd, usb, or Memory card/cd only. You would think hdd options would be better, but they are often older/outdated versions (the scene often catered to the PS2 slim).
Just tried out the PCE emulator again. It's a mixed bag, but couldn't play Dungeon Explorer correctly, so it fails my approval. Still good for Dragon Spirit and Devil's Crush, among others.
I have 2 version of that, if you want them, I can post them.

As for iso's, you might try some small size games just to test. REZ, Capcom vs SNK 2, and Marvel vs Capcom 2 are all pretty small, assuming you don't use a DVD converted image.

Good luck though. I was ecstatic when I 1st got games running on the hard drive (seems like so long ago).
It also opened the door to playing imports for me (Sega Ages series anyone?)

Keep posting, as I enjoy reliving my own experiences.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sure! Post the PCE link. I'll give it a go. I have very little experience with the TG16/PCE.

I've really been enjoying the gameboy emulator.

I've tried to DL 2 .iso files. The first was fragmented as reported by OPL, the 2nd came up flashing colors. Maybe 3rd time will be a charm. Looks like DLing disc images will be tricky than ROM files. I have them named correctly & in appropriate DVD folder.

My PS2 fat, HDD, & Network adapter all came in yesterday. Something n me wants to at least get a game running via USB before I jump to HDD.

Snag here as well... looks like WD HDDs don't fit well but it can be done.
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f98/network ... fit-54938/

The power supply interface on my HDD seems a bit loose. Going to open it up tonight & take a look.

JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jag, you'll know your HDD is connected when you turn on the system. An orange light will show by the USB ports under the disc tray.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

JoeAwesome wrote:Jag, you'll know your HDD is connected when you turn on the system. An orange light will show by the USB ports under the disc tray.

Aye, the PS2 has a HDD indicator light like a PC. It's internal, but you can see it through the vents.

Also, when the HDD is in use, the PS2 fan will kick into high speed (which I've never seen happen without a HDD installed).
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

I'd suggest you get component cables and one of these: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/3-RCA-RGB-Video- ... SwEetV94Gn for VGA output.
You'll need a VGA monitor that accepts VGA-SyncOnGreen(SoG) though. And the PS2 needs to be set to RGB.
Best quality out of a ps2 until someone does an expensive HDMI mod (which will be awesome as well)

Then either boot a 480p game or in FCMB set OPL/GSM to a shortcut key-command.
So that when you boot the ps2, you for instance hold (down), OPL/GSM 480p starts.
(So I set OPL/GSM to be started by pressing down during boot. This is an option in FCMB.) VGA is only 480p and higher resolutions

Some ps2 games support 480p natively, and even more can just be forced to 480p with
OPL/GSM. Check the sig for more info on forcing 480p and 16:9. Let me know when you get stuck. I'd suggest first knowing how to blindly get your ps2 in 480p through component somehow and only then after getting into VGA.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ahhhh okay, thanks. I'll look for the yellow light. Waiting for my torx screw driver set from Amazon to allow me to move over the power module/receiver on my network adapter. My current smallest was a 10, looks like I need a 6. Gave me an excuse to buy tools 8)

Some progress:
I did bring up my new 250 GB WD drive on my PC today via my Sabrent IDE to USB adpater and formatted it, mapped it, etc. It will only allow exFat on my Windows 8 machine. Looks like I need an external program to get it into fat32. Read about "Fat32 Format" program. Your recommendations?

Thanks d123456, will read through your thread on the subject (listed as your most posted in thread on profile :D ). My TV accepts 480i over component just fine. It was the 240i over component (like many others) it doesn't like. I do have a VGA input on that TV but no idea if it allows for sync on green.

Edit:
Looks like I need my HDD to be in PS2Format which I can do via WinHIIP. No need to go fat32, then PS2F?

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay gents.... progress. My electronics repair screw driver kit arrived. I didn't have torx small enough before. You'll need a size 6 if you're trying to use a Western Digital drive.

Remove the power supply connector. My model PS2 network adapter had two size 6 torx screws holding it in place.

The picture doesn't due it justice. VERY tight fit but it does connect.

I did not see an orange light once I turned on the system with HDD connected? I tried looking through the vents as well. This had me worried the connection was not solid enough. My fan was working in over drive as described though so I had hope!

I tried opening HD Loader without the HDD, as I knew it had a format HDD option: "could not detect hard disk drive"

With the HDD in the expansion bay... and after a few road blocks WE'RE IN BUSINESS! :!: :D
"the hard disk drive connected to your PS2"

d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

Awesome. It's alive.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

d123456 wrote:Awesome. It's alive.

Small update:

DLed WinHIIP and I do have my IDE to USB adapter working fine on my Windows 8.1 laptop. My IDE 200GB WD HDD is running well (placed a couple test files on it) and currently in exfat. Dang, I forgot how those drives spin! I will be formatting to PS2 format via WinHIIP and attempting to get a non-fragmented ISO file running off the HDD sometime in the coming days (juggling a couple projects at the moment) via OPL.

Also, want to get a .avi movie running off the HDD, upscaled to 1080i over component. Worked great off USB so should be pretty simple process, just selecting HDD versus mass in SMS.

Been an adventure but had fun so far! :mrgreen: