PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Ziggy

Re: PS2 Mod 2016-17: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via USB POPS, Em

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:That naming scheme is only needed for USB. SLUS_xxx.xx or SCUS_xxx.xx . There is a program that names them for you but I just looked at my covers or checked artwork online. It is written on the spine. That is app is overkill to me.

Alternatively, you can open the ISO with 7-Zip File Manager and find the product code there.
s8n
128-bit

Post by s8n »

i have Daemon Tools installed and i double click the ISO and then use Windows Explorer to see the files of the mounted image for the game ID.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Both good tips! I seem to remember someone mentioning before, but I forgot.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

Thanks for the great answers. Though I am left a little confused.

I need to make sure the games are labeled correctly and make folders on the USB drive named "DVD" and "CD" ??

Leaving the games named as say Godofwar.iso will make them unplayable?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sano wrote:Thanks for the great answers. Though I am left a little confused.

I need to make sure the games are labeled correctly and make folders on the USB drive named "DVD" and "CD" ??

Leaving the games named as say Godofwar.iso will make them unplayable?

Correct.

GoW and any DVD-5 or DVD-9 games will go in the DVD folder. Raiden III, Contra Shattered Solider, etc would go in the CD folder for all CD ROM based games.

Via Hard Drive loading you can name the games whatever you want. This is not the case with USB. OPL is looking specifically for the naming scheme mentioned above for USB. You'll know you named it right if OPL shows the .iso. If named irrcorrectly, it isn't that it won't boot, you won't even see it.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@nightrnr, okay, how do I add modes to USB loading for POPS? Place a file in the VMC IIRC?

Command & Conquer - GDI Disc Needs: (0x01, 0x04, 0x06)

Here's also a new compatibility list for POPS:
http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/page/pops ... ity-list-a

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Yes, you are on the right track. There are at least 7 compatibility files and you do just put the ones you need in the game's VMC folder.
A couple are not to be mixed, but otherwise you can mix and match to experiment (nothing works for DWVII yet).

So yeah, they are numbered and they correspond to the indicated patch. The compatibility files are one of the links I sent you, in case you didn't have them.

Thanks for the game compatibility update. I'll definitely use it.

Hmm, been wanting to dedicate a bigger flash drive to this, but not sure if it likes 64GB+ sticks. Just got a 256GB to hold all my Wii games, as I don't trust a portable HDD for constant game use (probably irrational, but I hear of issues; none that I've experienced fortunately).

Or maybe I'll get a bunch of smaller usb sticks for my PS1 (and CD based PS2) gaming and group images by genre.

In reality, I will probably just put my favorites on PS2, as my PSIO tends to get more attention from me. If only it had VMC options (Diablo is staying on PS2).

I am so torn between these 2 options.

I am still sticking to single disc games for now on PS2, but will eventually try out multi discs. Disc swapping is supposed to be possible, so it would be good to know how at some point.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah, I've been using 1 USB & rotating games. Not optimal.

Hopefully that list will help us out. I'm already excited to try some out like The Raiden Project.

Thanks for confirming modes. I'll give it a shot.

My download of Command & Conquer (original, not Red Alert) is still running VERY fast. Tried adjust the cursor speed but that didn't help. Hope the modes fix it. I tried the same file set on my oXbox PSX emu and it also ran fast. Maybe it's just an issue with emulating that game period, or maybe I got a PAL DL that was sped up? Hopefully those modes will slow it down.

Regarding VMC, I can take those save files and move them over to a standard PS1 mem card, correct? Would this be possible within Ulaunch or do I need to buy one of those PS1 mem card to PC adapters? I've only ever accessed a PS2 mem card in Ulaunch, never tried a PS1 mem card.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

It's very possible that the C&C image is Pal, however, I always thought that it would player slower on a US system, not faster.
Odd indeed, but you could always try another download.

As for the PS1 save, it's a different format in Pops than on the card. You can copy the file to a USB drive and then convert it with a program on a PC.
I believe that you steered me in the right direction about this earlier in this thread when I was trying to get my save from Diablo off my PSP to Pops (similar process, if not identical).

I'll re-link the program if I get a chance, but might be a couple days until I can double check what I used on my PC.
--EDIT--
You linked this on February 5th and it worked for me:
http://www.retrocollect.com/Guides/retr ... -card.html
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr wrote:It's very possible that the C&C image is Pal, however, I always thought that it would player slower on a US system, not faster.
Odd indeed, but you could always try another download.

As for the PS1 save, it's a different format in Pops than on the card. You can copy the file to a USB drive and then convert it with a program on a PC.
I believe that you steered me in the right direction about this earlier in this thread when I was trying to get my save from Diablo off my PSP to Pops (similar process, if not identical).

I'll re-link the program if I get a chance, but might be a couple days until I can double check what I used on my PC.
--EDIT--
You linked this on February 5th and it worked for me:
http://www.retrocollect.com/Guides/retr ... -card.html

If it is the exact same game/code, it will run slower. It was my understanding that some PAL game ports are coded to run a bit faster than their NTSC counterparts, so when they in turn run about 15% slower on their machines/TVs, it is actually at the intended game speed. The speed up and slow down cancel out for normal speed. Maybe that happens less than I thought. I'm by no means a PAL expert. It confuses me that some PAL games run fine on our machines and others that are PAL optimized won't (looking at you English Deep Fear on SS! :cry: ).

Oh yeah! I found that mem card transfer info in the monster Assembler Games thread IIRC. Happy to see that forum and their POPS thread back up now. It's been a crazy year on my end :lol:! Happy to hear it is working well.

I'm still interested in a modded PSP mostly for PS1 and PSP retail games (now that I have portable emulators running on Android with a controller), but decided to enjoy my current projects for a bit 8).