Closing bacman website - migrating guides to RacketBoy

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
bacteria
Next-Gen

Closing bacman website - migrating guides to RacketBoy

Post by bacteria »

My domain is expiring in 2018 and I won't renew it. My Host is coming up for renewal in the next weeks; I am in two minds about either renewing or closing it now.

I get no financial reason to keep it going, however tend to keep it going as I put in a lot of work to the site contents over the years and if people still use it, then great. If however it is not useful, no point keeping it going. Modding retro systems has lost considerable interest on the net in recent months, it isn't like it was (thanks mostly to emulation and smart phones) after all.

Anyone visit my site (see link in sig) or is it no longer relevant?

Let's have a quick straw pole - keep it going for a while longer or not? :D

(subsequently removed poll and changed topic name)
Last edited by bacteria on Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
I am the Bacman
chupon
Next-Gen

Re: In two minds about keeping my website running

Post by chupon »

How much is it costing you?
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Definitely arcive all the articles! I took a peek at the 7800 Composite mod, great pictures and descriptions. Some very valuable useful stuff that many can use if not today, months from now.

Perhaps this Thread could be used to upload PDF or Word attachments of your Mods? :idea:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Yeah I'd definitely appreciate an archive. I don't really go to it very often, but you have some amazing information on there. I pay for hosting through Dreamhost, I may be able to help out a bit (provided it's not too terribly resource intensive)
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

I think what I am likely to do is close the site in a fortnight, even in this thread it has had 90 viewings and only 2 votes, which indicates that only a couple of people find the site useful - kind of gave me my answer! It gets around 100-200 visitors a day according to the stats however no idea how many are actual visitors and not bots, I suspect most of those are bots in reality.

So, is a site worth running for the benefit of literally a handful of people who occasionally view articles? no.
Are people wanting more commissions from me to make it viable to keep the site relevant? no, the N64 and SNES are the last enquiries I have had, interest in such things are pretty much dead.
Am I stopping modding? no, however systems I make i'll post here, YouTube and ebay.

I suggest if there are articles you are interested on the site, you grab them while they are still up. I am very happy if you want to extract them and upload the many guides to Racketboy, but that is up to the moderators of this site - if interested please let me know. When the site ends, i'll change the sig of course as the site will be closed then.

I like this forum, and out of the various ones I have been on in the past, this is the only one I have decided to be involved with now. :wink:
I am the Bacman
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Archive it, Bac.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

won't someone please think of the children

archiiiive
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Children all grow up and leave home eventually! :P

I'm archiving it for my own use in future for mods, yes.
I am the Bacman
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Looks to me like your website and Racketboy.com both run on wordpress. It wouldn't be terribly hard to copy your posts from there to here, if the admins like the idea.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Quite happy to if they are interested.

I don't know how to extract parts, however if the Admin here wants to get in touch and show me how to do it, quite happy to. I've used Updraft for backups (yes, the site is all Wordpress). I could provide them a backup of that so they could rape and plunder the guides, remove what they don't want, and make it more "Racketboy" if they want.

I have made a backup of the website already, only 90Mb. That way when I do modding myself and need to reference the guides myself, I can.

If people want this for their own PC, let me know and i'll upload it somewhere - anyone know a good free site for this which isn't loaded with adverts, malware, etc; so can just link to it and get the download?
I am the Bacman