RGB Modding a NES is a Terrible Idea

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Re: RGB Modding a NES is a Terrible Idea

Post by KalessinDB »

Famicom Titler was officially licensed, regardless of who produced it, and it was designed for a home system (since the PC10 is clearly a hack when used for home systems, so discounting that for home use is fair in my eyes) so it's still am official product no matter how you look at it.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

KalessinDB wrote:it's still am official product no matter how you look at it.

It's an official product but it wasn't produced by Nintendo.
Regardless, I discount the Famicom Titler for the same Reason I discount the PC10. They both use the same PPU for RGB (AKA, the same broken colors).
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I understand the position; If you're gonna go for less than perfect color reproduction at the price, why not achieve the same thing for free?

At the point I was at in my hardware mods, an AV Famicom mod was the next logical step.
I did it because I think it's cool. Original hardware improved to the limit of my knowledge and ability, but still performing it's original function perfectly. Before it was modded, the picture clarity made emulation preferable, tho I was still playing the games on hardware because I could. As mentioned earlier, the fringing was painful on all of my larger screens. I think I was running a NES emulator on my PS2 when I wanted the 240P clarity on my CRTs and XRGB-3. This was before I successfully ran a PC 15Khz video mod. Of course I could run a PC emulator at 640x480 with scanline filter, but where's the fun in that?

I like having all my consoles hooked up and being able to just hit power and play them with whatever clarity I was able to achieve. The Famicom is functioning with enough clarity to keep up with all the rest of the consoles that are hooked up. The few games that lost playability due to the loss of greyscale, I hadn't played them before.

Virtual console games are well implemented, and I've set up original xbox systems for some awesome multiplayer retro gaming on many emulated systems. Emulation is always a double-click away on any of the 14 screens in my house and most of my handheld consoles too, but it just doesn't have the same appeal. I always want to spend too many hours tweaking and improving the settings to achieve what I already have in original hardware.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

Anyone want to start a drive to donate an NESRGB-modded system to LentFilms?

LentFilms wrote:There's no need to spend all this money cannibalizing your NES

LOL do you even know what's involved in an NESRGB install? No parts are wasted since it uses the original PPU so there's no cannibalizing anything.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

ApolloBoy wrote:LOL do you even know what's involved in an NESRGB install? No parts are wasted since it uses the original PPU so there's no cannibalizing anything.

I meant cannibalizing in the sense that your removing the NES's original color space. However, Ghegs informed me that you can still switch back to YIQ at any time, so perhaps "cannibalizing" isn't the right word.
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

LentFilms wrote:I meant cannibalizing in the sense that your removing the NES's original color space. However, Ghegs informed me that you can still switch back to YIQ at any time, so perhaps "cannibalizing" isn't the right word.

Yeahhhhh that's hyperbole at its finest don't you think?
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS