Tips for Making My First Custom Console

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
pogala

Tips for Making My First Custom Console

Post by pogala »

Hello Racketboy community, I am making my first custom console, a kirby themed SNES. I have several newbie questions that I hope you guys could answer. First of all, where should I get my decals? More specifically I am looking for kirby-themed decals, my most wanted being 20th anniversary decals and logo decals but anything kirby is fine with me. Second of all, I am hoping you guys have some tips for newbie custom console makers. I know the basics about what paint to use, how to apply etc, but other then that I am fairly ignorant. Thanks for help, pogala.
Ziggy

Re: Tips for Making My First Custom Console

Post by Ziggy »

Welcome! :D

Use spray paint, not a brush. Practice spray painting on some junk stuff first, it takes a little getting used to. Put on multiple LIGHT coats. Read the directions on the can and follow them exactly (time between coats, dry/handle time, cure time, temperature, etc). Use Krylon Fusion if possible, it's great stuff. Use a satin or flat sheen, gloss always looks like crap (if you wanted a glossy finish, do it with clear coats - which is a whole other process after painting).

Spraying technique is crucial. A lot of first timers will make a blotchy mess, which is why I suggest practicing on some junk first. Multiple LIGHT coats will always get you better results (even if they're TOO light) then trying to cover everything in one thick coat. This is how you avoid blotching, runs, etc. Light coats, can't stress it enough. You just have to practice the distance and speed until you get a feel for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB_MtpaMYaY

There might be better instructional videos on YouTube, but this one looks OK for a quick search.

A few more tips: Don't lay the SNES shell down on a flat surface, prop it up on something. Do this to avoid having the edges stick when the paint dries. Also, understand the difference between drying times (handle, dry, and cure) and note that curing times can greatly vary depending on temperature and humidity. You can handle it when it's dry, but you really wanna make sure it's fully cured before you start really handling it and using it or you can easily get chips.

For decals... I have no idea. Maybe do a finely trimmed waterslide and then clear coat over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTKFxzJvH1U

Anyone wanna make a budsmoka reference?

edit: I typed this post up in a hurry, sorry if it's worded like crap.
pogala

Post by pogala »

Thanks! Now all I need is some more advice for decals and I'll be set! When I'm done I'll post the finish project on the forum.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

A few more tips I can add:

The paint matters a LOT. You can be the best spray painter in the world, but shitty paint is shitty paint. Krylon Fusion is highly recommended. Rustoleum is also very good. I've gotten good result after good result with Krylon Fusion for plastics, so that's what I stick with when I'm spraying something plastic.

Make sure the surface is CLEAN. You might hear somewhere that you have to lightly sand the surface first. I wouldn't recommend doing this on the SNES shell since it's textured and pretty soft. Just make sure it's absolutely clean. Giving it a kitchen sink bath with dish soap wouldn't hurt. Just make sure you rinse ALL the soap off (or whatever your use) and that's it's perfectly dry before painting.

The area you paint in matters a lot. "Well ventilated area" is what you always hear, and for good reason. You don't want to be breathing in clouds of paint. But you also don't want hair, dust, pet dander, etc getting all over your wet paint. Spraying a SNES is a small job, so don't go crazy. But generally, when you're spray painting, the most ideal conditions is as close to a cleanroom as you can get.

As I said before, read the directions on the can and follow them exactly (they will differ between different types of paint). Shake the can for at LEAST however long it specifies. Also shake periodically while you're spraying, and between coats.

To keep the nozzle from clogging, turn the can upside down and spray for a few seconds. This will blow out any wet paint in the nozzle so it wont dry and clog. If you're waiting a few minutes between coats, you don't have to worry about doing this. But definitely clear out the nozzle when you're done spraying for the day. A completely clogged nozzle will make the can garbage, but even a partially clogged nozzle is bad.
Last edited by Ziggy on Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

you want to make sure you put a pot leaf in there somewhere
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

TSTR wrote:you want to make sure you put a pot leaf in there somewhere

And there it is!

No, no, no. What he needs to do is paint it white then take black spray paint and write "SNES" on it!
pogala

Post by pogala »

TSTR wrote:you want to make sure you put a pot leaf in there somewhere

Leaf Kirby.... :o
pogala

Post by pogala »

If possibly I'd like to spray on Kirby's face, so would I tape out everything that I do not want to spray and only spray the uncovered area?