Discuss all hardware and software modifications
jupitersj

JPN Saturn Modchip + AR4in1 questions...help!

by jupitersj Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:41 pm

I purchased a v2 modchip from racketboy for one of my US Model 2 saturns(already has region switch) that is a 21pin ribbon 32pin IC that I plan to install later on in the week...

...however my question(s) has to do with a Japanese Saturn Model 2 (21pin ribbon 64pin IC) that I purchased which already had a modchip installed when I opened her up :D This Saturn has the other modchip that is GREEN with two ribbon cables which is easy to install on a 64pin system.

I verified that it works with retail US and JPN games via Action Replay 4in1(which i modded to work with vamp savior etc). It also works with JPN backup I made of Sailor Moon Super S. However, I cannot get it to work with US backups so far. I have tried Shining the Holy Ark and Burning Rangers.

I intend to install a region switch on this console anyway... but does the Action Replay 4in1 NOT bypass region when used on backups in conjunction with a modchip? Yes I know I can patch games into the consoles region but I'd rather do a switch mod.

I just assumed the AR4in1 would take care of it like in retail games... was I mistaken or do I have a problem/incompatibility?

thankyou,

jupitersj
Last edited by jupitersj on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vlame
Next-Gen

by vlame Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:55 pm

take a pic of your ar or find a pic of an alike one.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
jupitersj

by jupitersj Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:20 pm

BTW on the **edit** US Backups... yes I type jpn by mistake. I meant US **edit** the AR will say Loading in a blue box like always but gets stuck there. If I hit C to go to the CD Saturn Menu the Saturn will recognize the cd and for Burning rangers I can play the track 2 which tells me there is saturn data on track one not to use in a blah blah XD I would try these on an emulator but this labtop I'm on atm can't handle that.

I have both motherboard revisions of the AR ... both exhibit the same problem with different region backup games.

I have like 3 or 4 AR's hehe... all my pre vampire savior AR's I personally modded. I'll see if I can take a pic of two of them.

OLD

NEW

OLD AND NEW

skate323k137
Next-Gen

by skate323k137 Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:59 am

my AR is the grey looking one, and it does break import protection just fine. i have one saturn with a region switch, and one with a modchip and AR1/4mb+

whats the mod for on that AR?

also i have an extra AR but its not the ram expansion, just a cheat cart and import protection breaker. I didn't think many other people messed with region switches any more :)
jupitersj

by jupitersj Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:37 pm

The mod is for a batch of pcb boards in some of the AR4in1's that won't play certain import games like Vampire Savior. You have to cut a trace and reroute it with a wire to make it like the correct AR4in1's that do play it.

You can find better pictures of the problem on shin force website.

I finally got it working ... for some reason the copies I made plus the ones I downloaded to test if my copies were bad both didn't work.

Apparently Nero doesn't like US games for me, just my JPN games :shock: I had to cdmage them. I'll have to rip my US stuff with something else it seems.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

by skate323k137 Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:55 pm

nice, i was gonna say, sounds like a bad burn. ive had a couple bad images/burns hang up the same way
Return to Hacks and Mods