PS2 ISOs

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Sano
Next-Gen

PS2 ISOs

Post by Sano »

I am looking for peoples opinions on the best way they believe to burn PS2 ISOs...

What type of DVD brand
What speed to write at
What program(s) to use

Thanks! :mrgreen: :!:

P.S. - Sorry if this is the wrong thread area. Please move it, if it is :D
PaulSilentin

Re: PS2 ISOs

Post by PaulSilentin »

verbatim DVD-5 as DVD-R (with "-". not DVD+R. Also don't use RW ever)
4x if possible
ImgBurn
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

PaulSilentin wrote:verbatim DVD-5 as DVD-R (with "-". not DVD+R. Also don't use RW ever)
4x if possible
ImgBurn

Awesome, not using verbatim disc, but I follow the other steps. Need to get to the stack of games Ive got and hope they work. Thanks for the tip ^_^
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I've also had good luck with Verbatim (FujiFilm stopped being good years ago, and i can't be bothered to import other brands anymore). Burning speed seems to be irrelevant nowadays from my tests using read/burn diagnostic programs on different crap optic drives to find out which to throw out. It's probably because people rarely use their burner drive enough to wear out their burner drive's lasers? Still, burnt games seem to have a higher seek time than pressed originals despite trying different brands and burner drives for ps2 games (LG is my preferred brand, tho brand didn't matter much either).
Most games I tried run pretty well off usb in Open PS2 Loader. Ones that stream environment textures realtime do not in my experience. USB is not better than a rapidly burnt DVD in that case...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

PaulSilentin wrote:verbatim DVD-5 as DVD-R (with "-". not DVD+R. Also don't use RW ever)
4x if possible
ImgBurn

+1

Although, you could substitute Verbatim for any quality brand. And you wont always be able to burn at 4x (determined by the burner and the media) so just set it to whatever the slowest possible speed is.
Sano
Next-Gen

Playstation 2 ISOs

Post by Sano »

So, I have a modded memory card to be able to play PS2 games.

1) What is the best way to burn PS2?
2) What software should I be using to burn games and/or hex clients an such
3) How do you know if an ISO is going to work? :mrgreen: :?: :lol:
s8n
128-bit

Post by s8n »

no mention of Taiyo Yuden DVD-R ?

i can vouch i used to use Verbatim CD-R for Dreamcast and then learned the art of burning from ClubMyce forums. I burned Powerstone 2 and the way the GD-Rom drive sounded was tight ( worm motor was like zip zip zip ) also the part where you choose your character and he's sort of running to the stage takes less time than the Verbatims.

btw IMGburn creates more C1/C2 errors than Discjuggler as i used CD/DVD Speed to test the difference after burning in both apps.

speed depends on the burner i find X12 worse than X16 and X24 speed created more C1/C2 errors , X16 is the sweet spot for my Liteons.

Sano wrote:3) How do you know if an ISO is going to work?

you could run the ISO through PCSX2 emulator first
Ziggy

Re: Playstation 2 ISOs

Post by Ziggy »

Sano wrote:So, I have a modded memory card to be able to play PS2 games.

1) What is the best way to burn PS2?
2) What software should I be using to burn games and/or hex clients an such
3) How do you know if an ISO is going to work? :mrgreen: :?: :lol:

The answer to the first question (and the first half of the second) hasn't changed at all. Use good quality media (Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, Sony), use ImgBurn, set the burning speed (the slower the better).

Not really sure what you mean by "hex client," but in answer to question 3... So you installed FMCB on a memory card? If you used the Noobie Package, then you should already have an app called ESR. This app allows you to play burned PS2 DVDs.

Here's the catch: You have to patch the ISO before you burn it. There's a little PC utility that'll ESR patch PS2 ISOs for you. The reason you have to patch the ISO is because of the way ESR works. It changes the DVD type so that the PS2 doesn't realize it's a game (I think it will see it as a movie) and skips any security checks, then ESR can boot the game. At least, that's what I think ESR is doing... Even the official ESR thread doesn't really explain clearly what it does.

Here's another catch: Because of the way this trick/exploit works, you can only boot patched DVDs (the important part being DVDs). You cannot use ESR to boot burned PS1 games. For PS2 games that are on CD, you'll have to convert it to DVD (then ESR patch it, of course) in order to boot it with ESR.

You can get the app and patching utility here: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f164/esr-public-beta-58441/

So how do you know if an ISO is gonna work? If you created the ISO yourself, it's NOT going to boot with ESR. You have to patch it first. If you're downloading the ISO, someone might have already ESR patched it. Check descriptions, people usually will specify if it's ESR patched or not.

People on this site usually specify ESR or not: http://theisozone.com/downloads/playstation/ps2-isos/

But honestly, if you have a PS2 phat, don't even mess around with ESR. Get a network adapter if you don't already have one and throw a HDD in there. The Noobie Package comes with HDL or OPL, but be sure to upgrade to the latest version of OPL (Open PS2 Loader). Loading games off the HDD fixes everything. You don't have to worry about patching games or bad burns, games will load faster, virtual memory card support (optional), etc.
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

Any dvd brand will do. I have never encountered bad dvd's and I have bought all types of dvd's. Well, I wouldn't try any unbranded dvd's, but as long as it got a name, you should be fine. Try to burn at a slow speed and I use Nero.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
s8n
128-bit

Re: Playstation 2 ISOs

Post by s8n »

Ziggy587 wrote:But honestly, if you have a PS2 phat, don't even mess around with ESR. Get a network adapter if you don't already have one and throw a HDD in there.

+1 on this