Who sells the best backlit OG GBA?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Who sells the best backlit OG GBA?

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Looking for the best workmanship and attention to detail.

EDIT: and do they all use the screen with the shitty motion blur? :/
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: Who sells the best backlit OG GBA?

Post by flojocabron »

SuperDerpBro wrote:Looking for the best workmanship and attention to detail.

EDIT: and do they all use the screen with the shitty motion blur? :/

My friend does custom gameboy and stuff like that. Usually works on gameboys and gameboy colors.

But I'm sure he can work something out or guide you to someone that does

His internet handle is J-bit Retro

https://instagram.com/jbitretro/?hl=en

https://www.facebook.com/jbitretro?fref=ts

Disclaimer: I am a non paid attorney spokesman :mrgreen:
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I actually already follow him on facebook lol. Never seen any GBA stuff.. Never even crossed my mind to ask him.
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
retroupgrade
8-bit

Post by retroupgrade »

I make custom GBA's (minus paint jobs). Check out this post and let me know if you're interested. http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49513

If you're looking for a factory-made product do a Google search for Woodi GBA or Revo K101. They both play GBA games and have improved screens over the original GBA and GBA SP AGS-001.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Not bad. How good are you at doing a solid GBC frontlight setup? I tried this clown on ebay twice and both times he blamed me and or the weather for the LOCA pulling up in transit and causing spider veins all over the fringes of the screen that were bad enough to blocked seeing stuff. Made him take it back after the second and give a full refund.

I'm considering having it done still despite that, have a stock grape GBC that's in perfect shape I was going to use to try it myself before that turned me off a few months ago. Either way I maybe getting a Nomad shortly, that LCD upgrade is tempting depending how I feel about the screen as I haven't seen one in action for like 10 years or so now.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

From what I read this guy:
http://handheldlegend.com/
... But looking at the pics, there's gotta be something better...

Re: GB frontlit biverted or GBC mods;
I contacted master Kitsch himself for my mods. He responded while I was out of town and nothing ever came of it, but he was enthusiastic about the specialized mods I proposed for my GB. I forgot about it until just now, but he was present while the influx of innovation was happening over at 8 bit collective, and has since perfected it through many successful mods. Wouldn't hurt to send an email his way.

Also, going way OT, this is some of the stuff I was looking for & more crystallized into a really awesome blog:
http://blog.gg8.se/wordpress/category/gameboy/
All that stuff for the screen's pretty standard now, but I gotta give this guy props for helping find and test it back in '08 & '09. I remember helping with some of the hex editing for palettes stuff.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
retroupgrade
8-bit

Post by retroupgrade »

Tanooki wrote:Not bad. How good are you at doing a solid GBC frontlight setup? I tried this clown on ebay twice and both times he blamed me and or the weather for the LOCA pulling up in transit and causing spider veins all over the fringes of the screen that were bad enough to blocked seeing stuff. Made him take it back after the second and give a full refund.

I'm considering having it done still despite that, have a stock grape GBC that's in perfect shape I was going to use to try it myself before that turned me off a few months ago. Either way I maybe getting a Nomad shortly, that LCD upgrade is tempting depending how I feel about the screen as I haven't seen one in action for like 10 years or so now.

I can tell you I don't allow "dust under the screen" (I own an air duster) and I don't do smudges. I do all my mods like I'm modding my own systems. I sold Beers and Videos a frontlit NGPC and a Nomad upgrade with new LCD and battery pack mod and he was happy enough to write me a nice review (my previous username was "batteries"). I changed names because that one was impossible to search.

This is my Japanese clear GBC with frontlight and USB rechargeable upgrade. A Grape GBC wouldn't have any light leaking. The lines on the screen are due to the light-diffuser not being camera friendly. Although I had a Japanese game loaded, I am located in the USA.
Attachments
20160103_200316 (1).jpg
20160103_200316 (1).jpg (101.89 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
20160103_200333.jpg
20160103_200333.jpg (113.53 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
retroupgrade
8-bit

Post by retroupgrade »

I found a photo of the mod I did for Beers and Videos.
Attachments
IMG_0831.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG (82.94 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

^ that is beautiful! Could you do a WonderSwan Color?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
retroupgrade
8-bit

Post by retroupgrade »

Anapan wrote:^ that is beautiful! Could you do a WonderSwan Color?

Thanks for the compliment! :D I'd be happy to do a WonderSwan Color for you. PM me if you'd like to discuss details.