Discuss all hardware and software modifications
CowHax

Pal NES NTSC/Overclock found?

by CowHax Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:28 am

So today I got something very interesting for you: I've recently bought a pal NES off a flea market with a switch on it, the guy didn't knew what the switch did or was since he got it from another guy :|

So I tried putting a pal game in with the switch down -It worked.

I've also tried putting a NTSC game in with the switch down -And it flickered like the 10nes chip but with the game showing up in one "frame", when you turn the switch up it plays perfectly.

I noticed that the NTSC game actually plays in 60Hz, while the PAL game plays at 50HZ, (maybe indicating a clock switch?) but I cannot confirm that.

Anyway does anyone know why the switch is there or have you seen this mod before?
I don't know when the mod is made and how fragile it has become, so I'm too scared to take it apart :roll:
Last edited by CowHax on Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy587

Re: Pal NES NTSC/Overclock found?

by Ziggy587 Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:48 am

Did the PAL NES have a different lockout chip than the NTSC NES? If so, the switch might just be turning the lockout chip on/off. You didn't mention... Do PAL games work when the switch is in any position?
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
CowHax

Re: Pal NES NTSC/Overclock found?

by CowHax Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:52 am

Pal games do only work when the switch is down.

I'm pretty sure the pal lockout chip is modded the same as the NTSC one (raising/cutting pin 4)
Return to Hacks and Mods