Discuss all hardware and software modifications
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12077
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Recent PS2 SATA Mod

by Ziggy587 Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:18 am

Do those cheap Chinese SATA adapters actually work? IIRC, the catch was that they don't have an RJ-45 jack, right?
Image
LentFilms
32-bit
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Recent PS2 SATA Mod

by LentFilms Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:42 am

Ziggy587 wrote:Do those cheap Chinese SATA adapters actually work?

Not really. Their compatibility is shoddy. Some find that they work better then others, but almost all say that it has spotty compatibility.
I know SP193 (a dev for OPL) has tried to add better support for them into OPL but realized that they simply lack many of the functionality of an official NA. Therefore, buying one is not recommended.

It is better to use an official NA with a SATA bridge.
LentFilms
32-bit
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Recent PS2 SATA Mod

by LentFilms Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:36 am

From what I hear, this adapter works great.
(SUGOI ADAPTER 2535 Rev.2)
http://www.system-talks.co.jp/product/sata-tr2535.htm
Image
As you can see, it converts a 2.5 SATA HDD into 3.5 IDE HDD. Making it fit into a PS2 natively.
However, it's almost impossible to get your hands on it outside of Japan...
Real shame.
User avatar
ryanstein
24-bit
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:48 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Recent PS2 SATA Mod

by ryanstein Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:15 pm

While we're on the topic of OPL, I too have my fat modded with an 80GB HD (a Western Digital, so I had to mod the connector to allow for different IDE spacing, which makes it kind of finnicky since it's more apt to fall out due to being looser), but I also have a slim that could boot over the network. Right now, I have my home server sharing the ISOs. Which do you think I should use as my primary mode of booting? I haven't seen any major compatibility differences. Obviously the slim and the lack of a hard drive is quieter, which is kind of nice. Or I could go this route of upgrading the hard drive to a SATA one and not have to swap games in and out. Thoughts?
LentFilms
32-bit
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Recent PS2 SATA Mod

by LentFilms Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:50 pm

ryanstein wrote:Right now, I have my home server sharing the ISOs. Which do you think I should use as my primary mode of booting?
Internal HDD is the best option in terms of compatibility and speed. Despite allot of recent improvements to the SMB section of OPL, it is still not fast enough to match even the minimum DVD speeds. Therefore, SMB will always be cursed with longer load times, spotty compatibility and stuttering audio (less noticeable in some games, but still an issue).
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12077
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Recent PS2 SATA Mod

by Ziggy587 Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:01 pm

LentFilms wrote:From what I hear, this adapter works great.
(SUGOI ADAPTER 2535 Rev.2)
http://www.system-talks.co.jp/product/sata-tr2535.htm
Image
As you can see, it converts a 2.5 SATA HDD into 3.5 IDE HDD. Making it fit into a PS2 natively.
However, it's almost impossible to get your hands on it outside of Japan...
Real shame.


Real shame indeed. That thing looks awesome. Actually, I wonder why something like that isn't more popular. I mean, it's not like it's only application is the PS2. I'd probably get a few of them.
Image
User avatar
GSZX1337
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5805
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:21 pm
Location: Madison, TN

Re: Recent PS2 SATA Mod

by GSZX1337 Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:07 pm

LentFilms wrote:
Does anyone know the largest capacity a PS2 is capable of reading?

The max is 1tb, for internal HDDs.

Can you tell me where you've read this? I've looked around and found differing answers, ranging from 500GB to 2TB.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
LentFilms
32-bit
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Recent PS2 SATA Mod

by LentFilms Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:05 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:Can you tell me where you've read this? I've looked around and found differing answers, ranging from 500GB to 2TB.
I got it from the "Overview" section of OPL's Bitbucket page.
https://bitbucket.org/ifcaro/open-ps2-loader/overview
Code: Select all
----
HDD
----
For PS2, 48-bit LBA internal HDDs up to 1TB are supported
User avatar
GSZX1337
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5805
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:21 pm
Location: Madison, TN

Re: Recent PS2 SATA Mod

by GSZX1337 Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:15 pm

LentFilms wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:Can you tell me where you've read this? I've looked around and found differing answers, ranging from 500GB to 2TB.
I got it from the "Overview" section of OPL's Bitbucket page.
https://bitbucket.org/ifcaro/open-ps2-loader/overview
Code: Select all
----
HDD
----
For PS2, 48-bit LBA internal HDDs up to 1TB are supported

Awesome, thanks for sharing that. I'm planning on installing a hard drive on my PS2 here soon and was looking to see what size HD I can get.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Return to Hacks and Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest