Question about SNES RGB to VGA

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
mmz16x
24-bit

Question about SNES RGB to VGA

Post by mmz16x »

Hello im in proccess of finishing up my launch SNES with the BA6592F encoder that outputs component video i cant find much info on wiring up the RGB to the vga socket i found the Csync pin which comes from pin 3 of the BA6592F and where to solder the pins for RGB but beyond that do i need resistors and caps inbetween the BA6592F chip to the VGA socket i dont want to damage my encoder as resoldering a replacement is a pain along with this SNES just being finished with SuperCIC/IGR

Thank You
Ziggy

Re: Question about SNES RGB to VGA

Post by Ziggy »

You weren't really clear about what you're trying to accomplish. You mentioned component but also sync and RGB. And what are you using the VGA connection for? Are you just using it as a multi-AV output? (You can't use the SNES's RGB for VGA video.)

Yes, you need some resistors/caps. Which depends on a few things.

Where are you tapping the RGB signals from? From the encoder, the signals pass through a small circuit before going to the multi-AV output. That being the case, the easiest place to take RGB from is the multi-AV output pins.

From there, you'll need either a cap or a resistor on each line (depends on what region console you have). For the PAL SNES, you need a 75 ohm resistor to ground on each RGB line. For NTSC (U or J) you need a 220uF capacitor in series on each line (the negative side of the cap is the output).

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendomultiav
mmz16x
24-bit

Post by mmz16x »

my intent is takeing the YpBpR Component signal from pins 1, 23, 24 of the BA6592F and outputing it to VGA i saw that i would need Csync and thats comin from pin 3 of the BA6592F encoder aswell so with all this info what resistors/caps do i need soldered if any in between the BA6592F pins 1, 3, 23, 24 soldered to the back of the VGA socket ?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

This project needs a big breadboard.
Y PB PR is far different from RGB and isn't really compatible with any standard VGA display. It's my understanding that the Y PB PR (component) video off of an early model SNES is not usable in it's off-the-IC form without another amplifier inline. Once you have it amped, you need to convert it from Component to RGB while extracting both horizontal and vertical sync off the "Y" (Green/Luminosity) line.
I've never messed with the signal off that circuit because I know that it's not usable in it's un-amped form and if you're going to further try to extract the sync signal from it's luminosity/green channel into another form you'll need another IC (LM1881M (I think) for V&H sync on those VGA pins?) that requires another power source and pull the SYNC off of that.

Seriously, why not just get a transcoder or better, an XRGB?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
mmz16x
24-bit

Post by mmz16x »

xRGB is really expensive is there any other good transcoder thats not $3xx cost wise? also YpBpR i thought was RGB i take that my assumption was wrong :( so no VGA as for my next question can i connect YpBpR to Svideo and if so do i use 7 pin or 9 pin Svideo and of those two which is best for audio

im trying to acheive the best video with the fewest plugs installed on the external case if possible
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

mmz16x wrote:xRGB is really expensive is there any other good transcoder thats not $3xx cost wise?

SLG-in-a-Box is a decent mid-range unit from most accounts. It would probably run you around $200 with shipping.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

The short version is that s-video, YPbPr, RGB, and VGA are mutually incompatible.

Original SNES has factory output of s-video and RGB. Don't expect to need to add those.
YPbPr capable SDTVs should be easy. Possible to encode from RGB with relatively little loss.
However... Some HDTVs don't support 240p via component, for such sets you'll have to upscale.

RGB to VGA is similar. VGA monitors may or may not like the low resolution either.
Lum fan.
mmz16x
24-bit

Post by mmz16x »

ah ok i see