GBA SP renovation questions

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
marurun

GBA SP renovation questions

Post by marurun »

Are there any aftermarket screens for the GBA SP that have better contrast, more even brightness, and reduced ghosting? I don't have the skills for anything that's not a drop-in replacement, so it's possible I may just be out of luck.

Also, are there any handgrip things worth owning for the SP? The L and R buttons are a nightmare and I'd love to have better access to them. Or any mods any of you have done to improve the L and R button access or improve the Dpad?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: GBA SP renovation questions

Post by samsonlonghair »

I seem to recall that Mozgus wrote up an article about a GBA battery pack that made the GBA SP more comfortable to hold. I know that's not exactly what you asked for. I just thought you might find it interesting.
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/gameboy- ... ttery-life
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

Unfortunately, I think the screen market for SP's is pretty scarce, if existant at all. There's a huge drought especially for AGS-101 screens which has left the original GBA screen mod (where you install an AGS 101 screen into an original GBA) really hard to find these days. I've never encountered any aftermarket screens to use with the SP and so I doubt one exists that wouldn't require modding to connect to the console.

As far as grips go, the only thing i've used (but have been really impressed with), is the Gamester Game Changer. It's basically a grip that attached to bottom of the SP and offers space to hold 3 cartridges which you can switch between anytime. So you can change games on the fly without needing to actually replace an existing cartridge. On top of the cool functionality, it offers quiet a bit of bulk to the bottom and has some grips so your hands can comfortably hold onto it on the bottom.

EDIT: Just noticed your comment on the shoulder buttons. This doesn't add any shoulder functionality, so it may not be what you're looking for. More just to make the base of the console larger for people with bigger hands.

I recently got one from a friend and really like it.

Video review of the Gamester Game Changer

Photos:
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
marurun

Post by marurun »

Alas. So sad. My little SP works just fine, but it's not comfortable to use and I want a better screen. Now it sits alone, and when I want to play GBA I'm just as likely to use my GBA Player.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

marurun wrote:Alas. So sad. My little SP works just fine, but it's not comfortable to use and I want a better screen. Now it sits alone, and when I want to play GBA I'm just as likely to use my GBA Player.

Buy yourself an original GBA with the corresponding display pin out and the pin adapter, and install that SP screen into it :twisted:

I love my SP screen modded AGB-001 so much.

EDIT: ah is it not a backlit (AGS-101) model?
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

marurun wrote:Also, are there any handgrip things worth owning for the SP?

Nothing fancy, I just use one of those Yobo hand-grip products.

My hands don't feel cramped as they would if I used the system on it's own.

"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
marurun

Post by marurun »

It is the first model SP. I picked one up launch week after trading in my old unlit GBA classic.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile