Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Sarge
Next-Gen

Kazzo NES dumper / programmer

by Sarge Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:30 pm

Well, instead of getting a Retron 5, I decided to spend a little bit less and get a Kazzo NES dumper. So far, I've been able to dump quite a few of my game saves, which is cool, along with the carts.

Did find out a few fascinating things. Firstly, whatever it's using to dump Dragon Warrior ends up putting the banks in an order Nestopia doesn't like. I fought with that for a bit, but now I know to expect it. It also helps when you've got a good ROM to compare to, just to see what's going on.

The other issue I've run into is the one Zelda cart I want to pull SRAM data off of won't give it up. It's apparently a different revision of the board, and I don't have a whole lot of experience with the coding side of the NES or the kazzo mapper scripts. Anyone else ever play with that?

Anyway, there's at least some small possibility that it will support SNES dumping in the future. Now that really would make my day.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: Kazzo NES dumper / programmer

by Ziggy587 Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:19 am

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on that thing since its inception. I love what they're doing.

Also, check this out: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11020

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:31 am

Sarge wrote:Well, instead of getting a Retron 5, I decided to spend a little bit less and get a Kazzo NES dumper. So far, I've been able to dump quite a few of my game saves, which is cool, along with the carts.

I hate having a bunch of consoles hooked up, which is part of what led me to get so heavily into PC gaming. But I also like the ability to play my physical library of PS1, PS2, Saturn, GCN, Wii, PSP, etc games by ripping them to my PC. So... this Kazzo thing is kind of fascinating. And I've got to say the price is awesome. I may just have to invest in one of these!
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:30 pm

Yeah, in retrospect, I probably also should have grabbed a few dev boards for the common mappers. MMC1, MMC3 in particular. They're pretty cheap overall, actually. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of repro people are using these.
Return to Hacks and Mods