Discuss all hardware and software modifications
that1crzywhtguy
8-bit

CDRs for PS1 Backups.

by that1crzywhtguy Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:10 am

Anybody have any advice on currently available CDRs for backups? I've seen some stuff around but it's all older and I can't locate any of those cdrs. The ones i've been using work great in my modded saturn, my sega cd, and my 3do, but my psone is a bit more finicky. Any advice would be appreciated.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: CDRs for PS1 Backups.

by Ziggy587 Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:48 am

What model PS1 do you have? What CD-Rs have you been using? What format are the PS1 game images in, and how are you burning them?

As for what CD-Rs to get, every one always says Taiyo Yuden. The trick is, outside of Japan, Taiyo Yuden will not be the actual brand name (they'll be rebranded). Check out this paragraph from Wiki:

"Taiyo Yuden branded products are not common outside of Japan (where Taiyo Yuden media has a market share of about 60%) but unbranded CDs and DVDs are available from some online retailers. Rebranded Taiyo Yuden media can be found under Fujifilm, Fusion, Maxell (Maxell Music CD-R, Maxell CD-R Pro, and Maxell CD-R Music Pro (discontinued)), Miflop, Panasonic, Plextor, Sony (Sony Music CD-R (discontinued 2008)), TDK, and Verbatim Corporation brands.[13] In Japan, Korea and Greece, Taiyo Yuden is distributing its own brand "That's"."

So if you buy TDK, Maxell, Verbatim, etc, you might be getting Taiyo Yuden. It might say it in small text on the wrapper some where. Otherwise, they're easy to get online.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:29 am

I only bought Taiyo Yuden in bulk via TapeOnline, but they stopped carrying the brand. Out of the brands they carry now, I would recommend Titan:
http://www.tapeonline.com/products/tita ... e-t5881187
I have used them in the past and had no real issues.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:58 am

I use regular (non printable label side) TDKs with no issues, but only for hard to find games such as imports and for PAL games I convert and burn as NTSC. Due to the nature of the CDR making the Laser work harder and shortening its life, I try to as much as possible obtain the original pressed disc.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

adosmond
24-bit

by adosmond Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:30 pm

I've never had a problem with Verbatim CD-Rs, both their standard and AZO models, burnt at 10x. I initially tried to burn at a slower speed, but it always auto-adjusted to 10x, I guess it's the slowest they'll burn at.
Last edited by adosmond on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:10 pm

As others have said, Taiyo Yuden. Here's a great deal:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00065 ... UTF8&psc=1

On these discs I've burned PS1 games at 4x speed via ImgBurn with verify enabled, perfect results.

If you are in any doubt of a disc's manufactured authenticity, I recommend this tool:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Too ... fier.shtml
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
d123456
Next-Gen

by d123456 Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Any cd-r will do.
Just burn them at max 8speed, that's the most important thing.
For longevity though, I recommend discs that have a paint layer istead of just silver as the top layer; either printable or just painted.
Also a different color is cool because you'll be able to distinguish them from your older discs. If your ps1 is finicky you could try to adjust the laser, but make sure you know exactly what position they're in originally.
And of course you can always try to put the ps1 upside down. Weird, I know, but it does read discs better in some situations
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
dogman91
128-bit

by dogman91 Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:01 pm

d123456 wrote:Any cd-r will do.

Some games won't boot up with "any" CD-R. The Playstation will read the disc furiously and make noises that don't sound too healthy for it.

I suggest Taiyo Yuden like everyone else in this thread; pretty much the only option IMO. Definitely do burn them at the lowest speed.
s8n
128-bit

by s8n Mon May 04, 2015 7:17 pm

+1 get Taiyo Yuden......................

also get them from SuperMediaStore or Rima if you grab some from ebay most likely they will be fake.
BootyHunter57
8-bit

by BootyHunter57 Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:23 am

I use memorex. Seem to work fine. My PS1 picks them up fine. Even with the double disc swap method
Return to Hacks and Mods