Control panel that connects to 360 and Dreamcast

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Nyukki
128-bit

Control panel that connects to 360 and Dreamcast

Post by Nyukki »

Wondering if anyone could offer some advice on how to build an arcade control panel that can easily be connected to an Xbox 360 and a Dreamcast.

I want to build a bartop cabinet that connects to a 360 and DC (consoles situated outside of the cabinet). Obviously I can use switchers for the VGA and sound, but not sure how to conveniently switch between controls for the different consoles without opening up the control panel.

Any tips/ideas? Anyone with consoles connected to a cab done something similar?

Thanks

Edit: Heard about this Cthulhu thing, though from what I've read it isn't compatible with DC. Am I mistaken?

Edit edit: Read in bmoc's thread that the Cthulhu actually does work with DC but needs to be modded to work with 360. Simple mod?

Edit edit edit: Got an idea in my head that involves two sets of molex connectors per controller that might work. Will draw up a diagram tomorrow, any experts out there can chime in then on whether I'm thinking correctly or if there's a simpler solution.
Weekend shmupper
s8n
128-bit

Re: Control panel that connects to 360 and Dreamcast

Post by s8n »

hi Nyukki , i have 2 Astro City's and run my consoles with them............

with modding a 360 ( modchip ) ive done one of my 360's and plan to do more it took me 9 hours from start to finish with a few breaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDhovw2 ... tL8fIaf6IQ

Theres a newly released modchip for 360 called CR4 XL ( Coolrunner 4 ) which is what you want as its the best of all thats out there , if you are going to get one make sure its from a reputable seller otherwise they will most likely be fakes.

http://team-xecuter.com/where-to-buy/

also heres a video on whats involved in installing and flashing the NAND , i prefer to use QSB's ( Quick Solder Boards ) tho........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZSPGUeuCxA

from memory theres 5 videos in the process.............

you could use a converter adapter and bypass the whole modchip thing , you need to padhack a PS controller and then connect the wires to the control panel.

below is a list of converters

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/ ... -thread/p1

chat soon
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Nyukki wrote:Wondering if anyone could offer some advice on how to build an arcade control panel that can easily be connected to an Xbox 360 and a Dreamcast.

I want to build a bartop cabinet that connects to a 360 and DC (consoles situated outside of the cabinet).

Adapt the Arcade Panel to a PS1/PS2 controller PCB by solder jumping the pads. I mentioned in a few other posts:

CRTGAMER wrote:The PS1/PS2 Duel Shock has the widest range of controller adapters for other consoles and PCs

You will need PSX to Dreamcast and separate PSX to 360 controller adapter. Go nuts and add a custom built switchbox between the PSX connecter of the Arcade Panel and each console adapter. Be sure to keep the PSX cable from the Arcade Panel intact. This is the best method to have the Arcade panel hard wired ready in case later on you want to hook up a PC, Gamecube or another console at a later date.

A 9 pole switch needed. Look for a Serial box to mod. :!:

Solder in PSX controller connector cables to the switch inside. :idea:

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

It sounds like the Akishop PS360+ will do what you want.

http://www.focusattack.com/akishop-ps36 ... stick-pcb/

It is very similar to the MC Cthulhu but you won't need to mod it. You should be able to use its usb port for the 360 and its RJ45 port for the Dreamcast. I believe it will work so long as you don't have both consoles on at the same time.
s8n
128-bit

Post by s8n »

hmmm Akishop PS360+ ............ doesnt one of the guys at Akihabarashop.jp make it ?

if you are going to buy one dont buy it from that site as its run like shit , it took me about 4 weeks of emails to get my Paypal payment back from them. And you may think its a isolated case but Akihabarashop have a thread over at Shoryuken forums and theres multiple people who have had the same issue i have , they take your money ship nothing and then dont respond to emails.

there was a guy over at shmup forums as well with my problem too............

beware
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful. We'll see how things go in the next couple of months, definitely need to get it up and running before Radirgy is up in Shmup of the Month.
Weekend shmupper
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

@CRT - with the pcb adapters available now the PS1/PS2 having the most adapters is moot. It is easier to use one of these custom pcbs - one time and done. No need to buy and store any PS-->??? adapters, no worries of lag, etc

@Nyukki - I use the McCthulhu BUT I have not wired up the 360 yet - it is possible, by soldering in a usb input to the PCB (quite hard, per toodles own words) or adding the V2 imp pcb to your setup and you can switch between the McCthulhu or the Imp.

My sticks currently allow play for again, everything from NES through PS3 with exception of 360 currently, but again, it is possible.

http://www.focusattack.com/toodles-cthu ... nsole-pcb/
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Thank dudes.

mjmjr25 wrote:it is possible.

So I've heard, and although I've recently bought a soldering iron, I fear it's all a little beyond my capability. On top of that, I have a spare Wii kicking about and I'm contemplating hooking that up too for some Tatsunoko whatnot.

Damn I really need some popcorn chicken to dip in my strawberry sunday right now!
Weekend shmupper
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

On a side note, I was looking into the PS360+ a little more in depth as a result of this thread and it turns out that they have recently added Saturn, NES, and SNES support making it nearly on par with the MC Cthulhu in terms of retro support. It is also moderately easy to add Xbox One support to the PS360+ using a Crossbone PCB. If I were building another arcade stick today, I'd go with the PS360+. I suspect that they may add Gamecube/Wii and TG16/PC-Engine support down the road making it the clear choice.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

mjmjr25 wrote:@CRT - with the pcb adapters available now the PS1/PS2 having the most adapters is moot. It is easier to use one of these custom pcbs - one time and done. No need to buy and store any PS-->??? adapters, no worries of lag, etc.

Never have an issue with input lag, but then I use HD CRTs. I think you missed the point, it is not a one time mod with that PCB adapter you linked which is USB output. Retro consoles do not support USB such as the Dreamcast mentioned in the OP.

My route, once the Arcade Panel is set to a PSX controller, NO ADDITIONAL MOD is needed for most consoles or PC. Simply connect an inexpensive readily available plug in adapter; SNES, Dreamcast, Xbox, Saturn, Wii, etc. A very easy plug in capability if an additional game console is set up in the cabinet later on. No need to gut yet another game controller for each console.

In addition, the 9 pinout of the PSX controller plug makes a simple mod to set up a switch box for the 16 digital button (and 4 potentiometers) capability of the Duel Shock controller. The same numbered 9 pin serial switchbox mentioned earlier is also easy to aquire and convert. Input would be the PSX converted Arcade Panel, output would be a dedicated adapter for each console and PC; no swapping of cables needed once the mod is done. Definitely easier then attempting a switchbox from the PCB board to multiple non USB consoles, each would need individual button wires and a matched gutted game controller jumper switch modded. :idea:

USB may be universal for modern gaming, but the PSX connecter is a better "universal" plug adapt choice for both retro and newer consoles. In addition to a PSX connector and 2600 connector, I added a PS/2 keyboard PCB for the PC for even working in a DOS bootup enviroment.

The additional PS/2 cable is for the gutted ball mouse Spinner mod; 100% compatible mouse with any PC and Mac (USB adapter). For PS2 or Xbox, a simple non mod SmartJoy Frag plug in adapter.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425