NEO GEO pocket light mod? Anyone know what this is?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Betagam7
128-bit

NEO GEO pocket light mod? Anyone know what this is?

Post by Betagam7 »

Spotted this on Taobao and was wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what this guy is selling. I'm running translate but it isn't very clear:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=201 ... d4c23eb5b0

It seems to be a light mod for the original NGP console (not the color) but as it says backlight and frontlight I'm not clear which (it also seems to have brightness settings).

I'm also unclear if the seller is selling a unit or a service. Can anyone who speaks Chinese better than me or is more familiar with this clarify exactly what this is?
Niode
Next-Gen

Re: NEO GEO pocket light mod? Anyone know what this is?

Post by Niode »

Looks like a front-light mod as a backlight would be more uniform with the way it lights up the screen. Compare the front light models of GBA SP with the backlight models.

You can see a comparison here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattgemmell/8598178192/
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

He's selling a premodded Neo Geo Pocket, not a modding service. 350 Yuan for an NGP with simple backlight, 400 Yuan for the backlit NGP where you can manually adjust the brightness. (Rough) Translation below

这台NGP已经被掌柜加了背光.通过技术手段大大的增加了屏幕的清晰度.背光亮度6档位组合按键调节.按住(选择键)点(a键)调节每点一下屏幕亮度变换一次.没有破坏任何结构.分别是(关灯)百分之(20)(40)(60)(80)(最亮)亮度有记忆功能默认关机前一秒亮度.您不需要担心每次开机都需要调节.SNK的掌机迷们千万不要错了.

Something like this:

"This NGP has already had a backlight installed by the seller. This technique has greatly increased picture clarity. Backlight brightness can be adjusted to 6 levels (of brightness). Hold 'select' and push 'a' to adjust each level of brightness by one notch. No structures have been broken (not quite sure what he means, guessing he means no other functions have been affected by mucking with the motherboard). Brightness levels are divided into 'backlight off', '20%', '40%', '60%', '80%' and 'brightest', it will also remember the last selected brightness level next time you turn on the device. You don't need to worry about adjusting the brightness level everytime you turn on the device. Fans of SNK handhelds better not miss this opportunity.

Demonstration Video: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzg1NjI2NjAw.html

二手宝贝成色跟外观难免有冲突、发货前我会跟买家确认照片...看好了在买、NGP玩不了顶上格斗。插上卡以后会有这个非常有趣的画面非常讨人喜欢

Since it is a second hand product, it will unavoidably have signs of wear and tear on the outside, before sending the item I will send pictures to the buyer... The buyer can then decide whether or not they want to buy it. The NGP is unable to play SNK VS Capcom, when the cartridge is inserted you will see following interesting picture.
Weekend shmupper
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I was under the impression that a backlit NGPC was impossible. Is there something about the NGP that makes it more possible?

I know that some NGPC games are backwardly compatible with the NGP so for this price I will likely order from him and post my thoughts on here.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

The word he uses for backlight is 背光 (beiguang, bei means back, guang means light), but whether it's an actual backlight or frontlight I have no idea. Could be worth asking whether he does mods for NGPCs too.

Send him a PM with something like “掌柜也做修背光的NGPC掌机吗?” and see what he says.
Weekend shmupper
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I would be certain it was a frontlight but if it has six levels of brightness I'm not sure. Generally for an NGPC somebody raids a GBA SP and sticks the front light bit into the system (I did this at one point).
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Thanks guys. I've just opened a Taobao account so I'm still familiarising myself with it but this did catch my eye.

It does seem peculiar that he chooses the NGP as opposed to the color to mod. I wonder if this was a more common system in China or something. :?:

Maybe it looks better on a pocket because there is no colour washout?

Either way, as a NGPC collector I'm interested in picking up an original NGP just to mess about with. A front or backlit version would certainly be nice.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

What, you live in China and JUST got a taobao account. I buy everyting on taobao from retro games to Mongolian beef jerky.
Weekend shmupper
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Nyukki wrote:What, you live in China and JUST got a taobao account. I buy everyting on taobao from retro games to Mongolian beef jerky.

It's been problematic because the captcha doesn't work properly and also some bank accounts don't let you use English ID to verify them.

Eventually found that China Construction Bank lets me use a UK passport as registration.

I'm not Chinese, I just live here.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Ah right. I'm English too, so I share your frustration with Chinese banks. Nothing's ever simple.
Weekend shmupper