PS2 ulanchelf help??

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
hayabusa_fmw
24-bit

PS2 ulanchelf help??

Post by hayabusa_fmw »

Hey guys
I have a ps2 modded (fat) with hd advance I do have SWAP MAGIC DISCS 2.0 i used to be able to run Ulanchelf on a cd to go to my memory card and now all i get is a black screen....... maybe i did something a while ago that messed that up

can you guys point me out how to do this????
My main goal would be not to have to use disc to use that software and maybe install mcboot?
and pops-00001
s8n
128-bit

Re: PS2 ulanchelf help??

Post by s8n »

you could install FMCB ( Free Memory Card Boot ) via CD and each time you turn your PS2 ulaunchelf will boot.

all you need is a CD-R to burn the FMCB installer , a USB Stick to put ulaunchelf on and a spare memory card where FMCB gets installed on to.

below is a link of a installer CD i made im not 100% that it works but its worth a shot , there are some other installer CD's that other people have made too a google will find them.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0cpws ... _CD_s8n.7z
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Here's the official site for FMCB, and this link is directions for Swap Magic specifically: http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/swapmagic.php

Use the "noobie package" as it will contain everything you need.

Here's the "guide for dummies": http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/noobie.php

The only thing is I think the noobie package was updated with OPL (Open PS2 Loader) instead of HDLoader. It does the same things (allows you to play games from a HDD) but it's newer and has better compatibility.

It's been a WHILE since I installed FMCB, so I don't remember much. I'm afraid I can't be much more help then this.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Yeah, what Ziggy said.

Unfortunately, softmodding a PS2 is something most of us struggle with at first, figure it out somehow, and then forget most of what we learned (because why bother once you can install it easily on multiple memory cards after you are done with the hard part?).

I used a sharkport for my mod. And even then, the tutorial I was following had some errors in it that I had to outsmart.

It doesn't matter too much how current the installer that you are using though. You can always put your own choices of "elf" files, etc, once you have ulaunch access.
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

^ Yeah, come to think of it... I had an HD Advance DVD that I used to install FMCB. When I followed the direction for HD Advance I couldn't get it to work for whatever reason. IIRC, I used whatever method pretending that I had a modchip and then just used HD Advance to boot the disc and install FMCB, and it worked that way.

I completely forgot everything about the whole PS2 softmod scene. I have no idea if I have the current latest version of OPL, and if I don't, I have no idea how to update it. I don't even remember how I was able to set it up to dump games over LAN.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I gave up trying to FTP my PS2. I just go the semi-old fashioned way of IDE to USB and use Winhiip.
Flash drive for everything else (including copying OPL and other updates).

If your OPL can use Virtual Memory cards (my 2nd favorite feature), you probably have little to no reason to update anyway.

Otherwise, it's simple enough to "Update"; You just replace the elf file with the new one (although setting files might be saved in a different location, if it's a old enough difference; at one update you had to run a conversion file to keep settings, but I just started over fresh).

It really pays to know your way around ulaunch. It's user-friendly enough, just looks archaic :wink: .

I recently played a little Beats of Rage on PS2. Good, simple, beeat-em-up fun; I ought to download a whole mess of them. There's everything from AvP to X-men.
...just another lost soul...
hayabusa_fmw
24-bit

Post by hayabusa_fmw »

Damn it was too late i downloaded the 1.8b version cd , and burned it , no more cd on hand for now

and it gives me a error like no usbd.irx?

The tutorial shows
Booting the Free MC Boot Installer using Swapmagic 3.6/3.8
I have 2.0 (cries)

As for HDD I already have hdadvance installed since forever.... i just want freemcboot for the apps like ulaunch to browse on memcard and install stuff