I built my first arcade stick

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: I built my first arcade stick

Post by bmoc »

fastbilly1 wrote:Actually, how does it latch shut?

Gravity. Also I don't pick it up by the lid. I bought one of these for $1 but decided against using it.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Within the next week I should be adding Xbox One compatibility to this. I will be using a Crossbone padhack and adding a Neurtrik USB port. I'm just waiting on some PCB screw terminals to arrive which should be here in the next day or two. I'll update with more pictures assuming that I am successful. There are some really tiny solder points on Xbox One gamepad so I am a little nervous. :shock:
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I spent most of last night assembling this and cutting/stripping wires. I wired it up to my arcade stick to test and everything worked except the right trigger button. Apparently I managed to screw up the one of the hall effect sensors on the xbone controller PCB. Luckily the Crossbone PCB allows for a simple fix. I just had to add a 10K ohm resister where it says "Trigger fix" in the lower right side of the image. After the resistor was in place, it worked like a charm.

All that is left is to mount the PCB and Neutrik USB passthrough. Hopefully I will be able to do that later today or tomorrow. My next post should be pictures of the end result.
Last edited by bmoc on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Good work, bmoc. I'm impressed.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Awesome work.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Thanks! Unfortunately I got a stomach bug yesterday and I haven't been up to working on it.

Also I discovered that if I press 5+ buttons, all the buttons are triggered. I guess there is a short or ground loop somewhere. :(
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I finally had some time to get everything mounted. I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot the 5+ button issue so the wiring hasn't been cleaned up yet.

So it is like 95% done. I am going to rewire everything and test the buttons one at a time as I connect them in order to find out where the problem is. It definitely won't happen tomorrow because of Easter so maybe next weekend if I am lucky.
Last edited by bmoc on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bremaine
8-bit

Post by Bremaine »

That's pretty awesome. I wish I could build my own arcade stick.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

So I have seriously let this project fall by the wayside. I never did get around to fixing the 5+ button problem. Construction of my new house has taken up most of my time and money for the past few months. However, we should be able to move in to the new place in a few weeks and I'll probably have some time over the holidays to work on it.

But should I not be able to fix it, I am probably going to get one of these which have become available since I started this project.

http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/92667127/

It is compatible with the MC Cthulhu so I would just remove the XBone controller PCB and plug this adapter into the Neutrik USB passthrough. Heck, I am seriously considering doing this anyway to clean up the wiring.

Anyone using any of the Brook adapters? I've mostly heard good things.
Benex
8-bit

Post by Benex »

It's a shame that you haven't been able to continue working on this due RL issues but I have to tell you that your stick looks really nice and clean, I wish I could do something like that.