Booted NES game?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Re: Booted NES game?

Post by KalessinDB »

Gunstar Green wrote:Just out of curiosity what tipped you off that it was a bootleg before opening it up?

He makes some side dough flipping games on ebay, so just as a matter of practice he will open every game he gets to do a thorough cleaning (assuming you can do it without damaging the game -- he obviously didn't open the 2600 Halloween that he got... btw that's a hilariously terrible game).

This works out great for me sometimes, where I get to play through awesome disc-based games to prove that the surface scratches don't affect gameplay.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Jmustang1968 wrote:Yeah, I had a Tournament Fighter and it is so much worse than the 16bit version. I dumped it right away.

And that's saying a lot, since the 16 bit version really isn't that great either :lol:
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

KalessinDB wrote:He makes some side dough flipping games on ebay

Suddenly all my empathy for your friend just evaporated.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

ninjainspandex wrote:

Yes yes, I know it's a dirty word. You don't really need to feel bad for him, he'll get his money back.

However, he *does* have a heart. Any time he gets his hands on something rare, he offers it to me either at cost or absolute minimum markup ($1-2 to cover his postage), sooooo I don't think he's evil personally :lol: He'll also take orders from me ("I want XXX and will pay $YYY") and let me pay in installments if he gets his hands on something that I want but I'm strapped at that particular moment.

But yeah, I figured most people here would think he's Satan once I said that.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

KalessinDB wrote:But yeah, I figured most people here would think he's Satan once I said that.

THEN HE GOT WHAT HE DESERVED!!! :twisted:

I really don't see the problem. It doesn't sound like he's raping the wild. He's buying games on eBay and selling them on eBay. If he scores a game on eBay for a little lower than the average going eBay rate then sells it for a little profit, how is that bad? If it sold lower than it usually does, then it's not like he stole the opportunity for some one else to get the game at a lower price. He got it at a lower price BECAUSE no one else bid on it or clicked the BIN. Every one has an equal opportunity to get the same games he's getting on eBay.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

ninjainspandex wrote:

Can't tell if serious.

If there weren't money to be made selling old games then a lot of stuff would have been in a landfill somewhere...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Generally speaking there's nothing wrong with a reseller, many people who buy games will do it, especially the last few years now that it has become a game of seeing how high the price can get on older Nintendo stuff in particular with in some cases no rational reason for it like the abysmal turtles fighter and for contra force too(though it gets a bad wrap.) The reason people get into the satan mindset is because of the visual minority of scum you see on ebay and elsewhere who pray on people to get stuff gamestop trade-in cheap and then sell it over the general accepted paid price on ebay using HIGH bins and a store front (which to people mean a reputation) to pay extra to feel 'safe' and a bit of luck too.

He didn't deserve to get a fake turtle game, and whoever did that one knows what they're doing because it's a clean job and the wires are cut nice and short so they had experience because it doesn't look like a spaghetti tangle in there. There's nothing wrong with making a bootleg like this versus any of the others, it's the intent to defraud selling one game as another. Had this been sold as a turtles bootleg/repro and sold at an appropriate cheap price and had been honest about it, that's fine, it's no different than the hypocritical stance places like NA takes where it's ok to take an EU or JP game and put it on a US cart and sell it.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Contra Force doesn't deserve your sympathy.
Last edited by Gunstar Green on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Tanooki wrote: whoever did that one knows what they're doing because it's a clean job and the wires are cut nice and short so they had experience because it doesn't look like a spaghetti tangle in there.

It might be a play on words, but I very highly doubt that the person who made that cart knows what they're doing. More than likely they just followed a very precise and idiot-proof guide. The short wire lengths only shows that the person has an eye for a tidy appearance, and nothing more. There's more important things than wire length like the integrity of the solder joints (I can't comment from those two pics alone), did he or she use a good dump of the ROM (there's plenty of bad dumps floating around as well as variations, trained ROMs, etc), and did he or she correctly prepare the ROM before burning it? One thing we know for sure is that they didn't splurge on the 0.001 cents it would have cost in electrical tape to cover the windows.

Tanooki wrote:There's nothing wrong with making a bootleg like this versus any of the others, it's the intent to defraud selling one game as another.

I strongly disagree. It's harmful to the community. We don't need fakes out there confusing and scamming people. If some one wants to make one for themselves, and it'll never leave their hands, then by all means go for it.

Tanooki wrote:Had this been sold as a turtles bootleg/repro and sold at an appropriate cheap price and had been honest about it, that's fine

I agree, but ONLY if it's clear to be a repro. And ONLY if it can't be bought, altered, then resold as the real thing. For example, if it was made with a label that clearly said "reproduction" on it, what's to stop me from buying it and making a new label then passing it off as the real thing? That's the problem.

Tanooki wrote:it's no different than the hypocritical stance places like NA takes where it's ok to take an EU or JP game and put it on a US cart and sell it.

But it is different, when you're talking about EU/JPN games that weren't released in NA. Let's say some one took a Star Ocean SFC cart and "repro'ed" it with the English translation in a NA cart then put it up for sale, and even makes it look 100% legit. It would only take 10 seconds on Google to find out that Star Ocean was never actually released in NA. And with the popularity of repros these days, it would be even easier to find out exactly what it is. If the buyer thought they were buying something legit, then that's their own fault for not researching something before buying it. This is very different then if some one just blatantly made a fake Earthbound cart to sell.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

We had a big discussion on this issue here:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=46356