oXbox hooked up to VGA, good idea/bad idea?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Zorator
8-bit

oXbox hooked up to VGA, good idea/bad idea?

Post by Zorator »

There's a few different cables and mods that allow you to do this. I have a component to VGA box for PSP that might do the trick. I don't actually have an Xbox yet so I can't test it on my box but I'm curious if anyone here has experience displaying Xbox on a VGA monitor. Does it look decent? Are there problems with certain games like there is with some of the higher resolutions the console supports out of the box? Is one graphics chip revision more suited for VGA output than the others? I haven't found much in-depth information on VGA output online other than the fact that it can be done so it left me very curious. Not interested in software based solutions.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: oXbox hooked up to VGA, good idea/bad idea?

Post by Anapan »

Hooked up to a scaler through component @ 480P looks really nice. The games and emulators that support hd all came through nicely as well. I ran it on a computer CRT VGA monitor @ 640x480 and it was as good as I expected. I was unsucesfull running the VGA bios to a 3rd party xbox-vga cable.
The only thing I really noticed was some posterization on smooth gradients, but that may just be the cheap 3rd party Component+optical xbox cable I use.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage