XRGB-mini Framemeister Questions

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
kidfresh
24-bit

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister Questions

Post by kidfresh »

Alright. I'll buy one of each, then, just to be safe.

What do you guys use for power supplies? Is it safe to use the packaged power adapter in the US? All I can find are UK solutions, and nothing really for the States. What step down transformers work best for you? Or even if someone can find the electrical specs for powering the xrgb-mini, that'd be great. Because I can't find that anywhere.

EDIT: this is what I ended up buying; http://www.amazon.com/VM1898-Universal- ... 000NNFECS/
kidfresh
24-bit

Post by kidfresh »

Not to dig this topic up or anything.. but I hooked up my XRGB-mini the other day, and I was really disappointed with the amount of input lag that I got when I gave Sonic & Knuckles a run. Is there an optimal setting on this to reduce the lag? Could it be my TV?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It could be both. If your TV has a "game mode" then turn it on. If it doesn't, then just turn off as many enhancements as you can.

I don't own an XRGB, but I was talking with some one that just recently got the mini. He wasn't at all pleased with the results right out of the box, but I asked him again after he did some reading and tweaking of settings (of which there's a lot of IIRC) and he's happy with it now. So what I got from his experience is that you're gonna have to fine tune the settings to get it working optimally. The default settings wont cut it at all.
kidfresh
24-bit

Post by kidfresh »

I'm certainly glad to hear that he got it figured out.

Does anyone know if you can perform the firmware update using the USB connector on the back? I'm actually out of the country right now.. and I don't have any micro sd cards with me. :roll:
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

The "Game' picture modes are anachronistically the worst modes for input lag. (Don't use "Meister" mode, either.)

You'll generally want to use "Picture" mode for 240p sources—if you get jailbars, try "normal" mode—and "Movie" for 480i/p sources. In terms of where those are on the remote: Between the two horizontal bars there are eight buttons; "Normal" is the first button from the left on the first row, and "Movie" and "Picture" are the first and last buttons respectively (from left to right) on the second row.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

All of what I'm posting now is only from what I read, tho in most cases it was from a knowledgeable poster such as Fudoh.

Outputting any source through the Framemeister produces only a little over 1 frame of lag - 24 ms no matter what settings you adjust on it. 1 frame = 17ms. In contrast, the XRGB-3 in B0 mode and the XRGB-2 always have 1ms lag - not even really detectable.

There's some notes for most consoles and video sources on the XRGB Wiki, as well as some recommended settings in general further down the page here.

The Image Modes do not actually introduce or lower any lag because they are simply different combinations of deinterlacer, lowpass and other processing that happen as part of the main function of the Framemeister. This information was posted by Fudoh on Shmups.org

On mine, I have the Image Mode set to "Picture" nearly all the time, with scanlines set at around 60.

If the lag is noticeable while playing a retro console through the Framemeister, the source of the lag is probably your TV. You can see if your TV's model is listed here to find out that it's input lag is with the best (game mode etc.) settings:

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

The only way to completely eliminate lag is by getting a CRT TV that can accept RGB @ 15khz natively, tho a RGB to YUV (SCART to Component) transcoder is probably the next best solution.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

hope you guys don't mind bringing this topic back up. quick question is which store in Akihabara can i buy the Framemeister? maybe in bookoff? traders? superpotato? yodobashi?? the only answer i could usually find is buying it online. afraid i dont have the resources to do so. thanks in advance
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Google tells me 2 confirmed purchases from Trader (Via instagram listings). One was 10 weeks ago.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

thanks anapan. i hope there will still be left when i get there :D
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

hi guys quick question!

psp3000 to framemeister, what cable do i need ? (for best quality without needing to mod anything? )