XRGB-mini Framemeister Questions

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister Questions

Post by KalessinDB »

Yeah my first question would be scart vs jp21, which is your framemeister adapter wired for vs what cable did you get. It's sometimes obvious, but often overlooked.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

KalessinDB wrote:Yeah my first question would be scart vs jp21, which is your framemeister adapter wired for vs what cable did you get. It's sometimes obvious, but often overlooked.

Definitely using a SCART adapter and SCART Cable, not JP21 on either.

Does anyone else have experience with the Boosted-Sync version of the Genesis 2 SCART Cable and a Framemeister?
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

8bit wrote:Does anyone else have experience with the Boosted-Sync version of the Genesis 2 SCART Cable and a Framemeister?

Yes, I'm running that setup on a Model 1 "High Definition Graphics" Genesis with a Model 1 Sega CD (or rather, I have used only that cable and a Euro-scart for my Genesis, and that cable's still what I use - read below). The cord I'm using is from Retrogamingcables.co.uk (Ebay user retro_gaming_cables). All signals coming through perfectly.

I've replaced mostly all of my old cables with ones from either that company or ebay user retro_console_accessories; She doesn't seem to have much stock lately, but still highly recommended over other sellers unless you can get an official console SCART cable at a decent price.

AFAIK, all models of Genesis provide the power to the right pin to run an LM1881 Sync separator/cleaner/booster, and they are pretty-much necessary on an X-RGB.

When I use the 32X, no matter which combination of cables I try, I get constant slowly scrolling picture/color distortion and bluescreen every few minutes. I've tried official and non-official patch cable between the SCD and 32X with no fix. In order to play games through the 32X, I have to pipe the SCART output through a Cypress CSY-2100 into the D-Terminal input of the Framemeister to keep a constant clean picture.

If it was available before, I would've opted for an externally powered Sync-cleaning/boosting SCART to Framemeister RGB dongle which Retrogamingcables now makes. With one of those, you don't need to get cables with a C-sync cleaner/booster LM1881 chip inside or worry about your console providing any/enough power to the sync cleaning circuit. Every console will benefit with standard or official cables getting processed.

As is, I have a dual female SCART joiner with my own external power source I put together, and I'm using Retrogamingcables earlier (without optional external power) CSync RGB adapter.
I wonder if they came up with that when I contacted them about the suitability of providing ghost power to the correct pin for their Sync-cleaning dongle? It did show up very shortly after our email exchanges...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

This thread definitely reminded me to finally pick up RGB cords and an scart to framemeister adapter before I unpack in a couple weeks. Hooray for retro gaming cables having a 10% off on their Facebook.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Smile_Kaiser

Post by Smile_Kaiser »

Hey, I hate bumping this old thread but I'm desperate and Nick suggested I hit up ya'll's forums.

So after struggling with my setup for like... two years... I finally get a picture from my Framemeister. Problem is, every console gives off this grainy, awful white noise. Like, it's riddled with it.

I'm going from my console to a gscartsw-lite to a Framemeister, using Retro Gaming Cables UK SCART cables.

Firmware is all up to date and I'm using Firebrandx's profiles.

Examples of what I mean can be found here:
https://twitter.com/WillCarpenterJR/sta ... 2178462720

Any suggestions?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Smile_Kaiser wrote:So after struggling with my setup for like... two years... I finally get a picture from my Framemeister.

What is the story here? It might help with troubleshooting.

Smile_Kaiser wrote:Any suggestions?

Forgive me if you have already tried some of these things. Let's see if we can rule out some components as the source of the problem.

1. Take the scart switch out of the chain and see if things improve
2. If no improvement, try a different TV.
3. If still no improvement, try a different scart cable. Perhaps one from https://retro-access.com ?
4. If still no improvement, something may be wrong with your Framemeister. Any chance of borrowing one from a friend or borrowing an OSSC?

I've also seen bad console AC adapters cause all sorts of video artifacts. But if all your consoles are doing it, I doubt it is that. Are your consoles all plugged into the same power strip? Maybe a power strip is introducing some noise?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

bmoc wrote:1. Take the scart switch out of the chain and see if things improve

+1
Smile_Kaiser

Post by Smile_Kaiser »

bmoc wrote:
Smile_Kaiser wrote:So after struggling with my setup for like... two years... I finally get a picture from my Framemeister.

What is the story here? It might help with troubleshooting.

Long story short, I'm an idiot. Really not smart enough to be dealing with all this upscaler stuff. Ended up buying the wrong cables more than once, waiting on the gscart to go on sale, etc etc.

Also I moved into a new house, had to start from scratch pretty much.

I'm going to try bypassing the switcher as soon as I get home, I don't believe I've tried that since solving the last problem. Unfortunately borrowing another Framemeister or OSSC to test that out is absolutely out of the question, I doubt anyone within 500 miles has ever even heard of this stuff; I live in the middle of nowhere.

Everything is plugged into the same power strip and that has been suggested as being the problem. I've ordered this though, so hopefully it ships fast:

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/tacima-cs9 ... 2cQAvD_BwE
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Smile_Kaiser wrote:Ended up buying the wrong cables more than once, waiting on the gscart to go on sale, etc etc.

Yikes. If you mixed up JP21 and scart cables, that could explain what is happening. JP21 and scart, despite having the same connector, carry voltage on different pins. If you did mix them up you could have damaged some of your equipment. But let's hope it is as simple as replacing the power strip. I'm rooting for you.
Smile_Kaiser

Post by Smile_Kaiser »

bmoc wrote:
Smile_Kaiser wrote:Ended up buying the wrong cables more than once, waiting on the gscart to go on sale, etc etc.

Yikes. If you mixed up JP21 and scart cables, that could explain what is happening. JP21 and scart, despite having the same connector, carry voltage on different pins. If you did mix them up you could have damaged some of your equipment. But let's hope it is as simple as replacing the power strip. I'm rooting for you.

I could have permanently damaged the Framemeister?

Um... so... what's Micomsoft's return policy like? Ahaha.... jeez...