Discuss all hardware and software modifications
abeisgreat
128-bit

Anybody Have Trouble Softmodding An Xbox?

by abeisgreat Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:26 am

Has anyone ran into any complications when soft modding there xbox?
Beep beep Beep
fuctfuct
128-bit

by fuctfuct Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:12 am

I have done 5 softmods and upgraded the HDD on 3 (Pain in the ass with softmods).. never had a problem. Its super easy.

What happened when you tried?
abeisgreat
128-bit

by abeisgreat Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:39 am

Nothing happened, Im probaly getting an xbox and was seeing if it was harder to do then they make it seem
Beep beep Beep
selfdestroyer
32-bit

by selfdestroyer Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:07 pm

I have done quite a few also.. HDD and all. I use this site as a reference to refresh on it if its been awhile since I have done one.

http://www.techfreaks.org/articles/modxbox.shtml

Don't buy a USB to xbox adapter.. its SO easy to make your own from a bad or old xbox controller and a USB extension cable.
abeisgreat
128-bit

by abeisgreat Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:31 pm

seems pretty straight forward. Have you had any trouble putting in a larger HDD?

Also what type of HDD did you install? brand, model, etc
Beep beep Beep
Zombie_X
16-bit

by Zombie_X Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:47 am

I wouldn't soft mod a Xbox, do a hard mod. I have modded over 10 Xbox's and hard mods are far superior than a soft mod.
The Ultimate Lord of the Zombies.....

Flak Beard
Next-Gen

by Flak Beard Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:00 am

Does soft modding affect all your current save files on the HDD? I never modded my original Xbox, but it'd be cool to turn it into and emulation box now that I've got a 360.
vlame
Next-Gen

by vlame Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:01 am

Zombie_X wrote:I wouldn't soft mod a Xbox, do a hard mod. I have modded over 10 Xbox's and hard mods are far superior than a soft mod.
what's so much better? lol?
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:34 am

Soft mod and hardmod are equal. So long as you don't fuck your drive up. Hardmods are moderately easier to recover as you can flash the bios to ignore the kernel missing files problem. (when you get a cold boot and it doesn't load the kernel and just shuts itself off). Other than that the mods are exactly the same. You can do everything a hardmod can do in softmod.

I've modded 4 xbox's so far and plan to mod another one to put in my arcade cab. It's very easy.

I agree with selfdestroyer, don't bother buying an action replay usb dongle. The xbox-usb converters are really cheap, or you could even make your own converter with a spare usb cable. With the right drivers (under windows) you can use the memory card port in the controller to write saves to and from with the free action replay software thats knocking around the web.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
ImportBoy
64-bit

by ImportBoy Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:23 am

I had no problems softmodding my Xbox. If I recall correctly I used Splinter Cell, Datel Action Replay Memory Card reader, and softmod software called Xecuter or something. Only issue I had was the softmod package was slightly larger then the 8mb memory card capacity. So I just removed a couple of included programs, no issues.

I later upgraded the hard drive, I ran a program to get the old hard drive locking code. I then attached the new hard drive to my PC and ran a program to lock it. Copied over the contents of the old hard drive to it, installed the new one in xbox, worked great.
-ImportBoy
Over 700 Saturn Games Available - Downloads, Information, & How To Guides
http://www.sega-saturn.us - kaneda@sega-saturn.us
Return to Hacks and Mods