Can you load PS2 imports on HDD without disc-swapping?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Can you load PS2 imports on HDD without disc-swapping?

Post by noiseredux »

I picked up a fat PS2 and network adapter for cheap today. I had a spare HDD to throw in it. My hope was that I can use a program via Free MCBoot to load my imports on the HDD without discswapping, as I have no slide-tool or fliptop for the fat PS2. Does such a thing exist yet?
theclaw
Next-Gen

Re: Can you load PS2 imports on HDD without disc-swapping?

Post by theclaw »

You need to trick/bypass its optical drive somehow.

Other options are modchip, network transfer, or using a PC.
Lum fan.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Use your PC to make images of the games (in this case, ISO). Connect your PS2 HDD to your PC (external or internal, doesn't matter). Dump the games to the HDD, then remove it from the PC and hook it back up to the PS2.

Alternatively, you can connect to your PS2 from your computer using the network adapter. Either get a crossover cable and connect the PS2 directly to the PC, or connect the PS2 to your network (router or switch) with a normal internet cable. This saves you the hassle of having to move the HDD, but it can be a little annoying to set up initially. You'll still use your PC to make images of the games, then dump them to the PS2 HDD via your network or a direct connection.

You should always do it one of these ways any way, it keeps wear and tear off the PS2 optical drive.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Can you rip games to PC, patch them with ESR and then load the ESR-patched discs directly on the PS2?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

No, you can only boot them with the ESR booter, AFAIK. Unless OPL can read burns, but I don't think it does.

edit: I suggest setting it up so you can dump games to the HDD from a PC. Once you get it set up, you'll be able to dump games that way from then on. If your PS2 isn't close to a desktop or router, then use a laptop if you got one. Otherwise, take the HDD out of the PS2 and connect it to a PC. It just takes not being lazy, which I know, is easier said then done. :lol:
jinn
128-bit

Post by jinn »

If you are using OPL make an OPL partition so you can have Game Covers and Virtual Memory Cards
PSone, Xbox, PS2, DC, SS Mod Service, PM for details
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Ziggy587 wrote:Use your PC to make images of the games (in this case, ISO). Connect your PS2 HDD to your PC (external or internal, doesn't matter). Dump the games to the HDD, then remove it from the PC and hook it back up to the PS2.

Alternatively, you can connect to your PS2 from your computer using the network adapter. Either get a crossover cable and connect the PS2 directly to the PC, or connect the PS2 to your network (router or switch) with a normal internet cable. This saves you the hassle of having to move the HDD, but it can be a little annoying to set up initially. You'll still use your PC to make images of the games, then dump them to the PS2 HDD via your network or a direct connection.

You should always do it one of these ways any way, it keeps wear and tear off the PS2 optical drive.

Not to mention horrible install time... :cry:

Still for lazy users, a modchip is king of the crop.
Lets one read even burns to HDD with an unmodified tray.
Lum fan.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Ziggy587 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Can you rip games to PC, patch them with ESR and then load the ESR-patched discs directly on the PS2?
No, you can only boot them with the ESR booter, AFAIK. Unless OPL can read burns, but I don't think it does.

edit: I suggest setting it up so you can dump games to the HDD from a PC. Once you get it set up, you'll be able to dump games that way from then on. If your PS2 isn't close to a desktop or router, then use a laptop if you got one. Otherwise, take the HDD out of the PS2 and connect it to a PC. It just takes not being lazy, which I know, is easier said then done. :lol:

Without the Flip Top, Slide Tool or a Mod Chip, only PRESSED Discs of the same region can be direct installed. As Ziggy mentioned, the PS2 Hard Drive in the PC or Ethernet Crossover Cable is your other option and does save on Laser Eye wear, though sometimes a PS2 configured IDE drive might not be recognized when plugged direct inside a PC. I prefer the Ethernet Cable method for games that do not direct install such DVD9 and some CD games.

The Flip Top is a good investment for future Import installs, especially when you only have to install one or two games at a given session. The direct install is slower but it saves the headaches of burning a game to the PC hard drive first and dealing with the extra hardware steps.

A Mod Chip is not needed to run any installed games, even if they are imports.

@ noise - About time you are discovering the hard drive convenience of the PS2!

Hit my PS2 Hard Drive Guide linked in my signature. :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Yeah doesn't matter to me right now, my modded system's AV output apparently quit.
It could play PS1 imports. :(
Lum fan.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright, I got one of those little Swap Magic card tools. But I still can't figure out how I can install imports to the HDD (without connecting to my PC)?