2 Case Commissions for Gman (Bugman)

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Downing
24-bit

2 Case Commissions for Gman (Bugman)

Post by Downing »

Just finished up a couple case commissions for Gman. The first one was done earlier in the week and was lot of three SL-68's from PolyCase. He plans to use these for N64 commissions of his and they are pretty tiny. Be interested to see what he does with them.

The second I just finished up was a custom vacuum-formed GCp casing that looked very much like the Wii U controller. This one I did up from scratch and though I still need to form the back half, the front cut came out quite well. Very excited to see what he thinks when he comes back from Europe!

These case commissions have been the rise lately and I love it! Keep em coming!

Game Cube Design

Hey guys, check out my new website and project showcase!
Also this is where my Case Making Guide can be found!
theclaw
Next-Gen

Re: 2 Case Commissions for Gman (Bugman)

Post by theclaw »

Not bad. Luckily even that's fancier quality than my 2-slot Neo Geo board would need.
Lum fan.
deathrace2000
8-bit

Post by deathrace2000 »

I love the design of that GCP case. Good job.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Those are really amazing! I think I have a commission for you.

One thing that's kept me from making a GBA mini-cab is the case.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31548
I have some 101 model GBAs and I don't know how to work with wood that small. I'll end up tearing it to shreds or burn it, also the wood I'd been planning to use would definitly smush too easily. A formed case would definitly be the best way to go.
Do you need the case drafted up in CAD first, or can you take a box of guts and return a finished product for more cash? I do know Autocad, but I'm a little rusty. vcoleiro1 told me where to get the controls, and I saw some other tiny lolipop arcade joysticks that were better too. Here's one on another gameboy mod here:
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/custom-nintendo-game-boy-arcade-cabinet
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Downing
24-bit

Post by Downing »

Anapan wrote:Those are really amazing! I think I have a commission for you.

One thing that's kept me from making a GBA mini-cab is the case.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31548
I have some 101 model GBAs and I don't know how to work with wood that small. I'll end up tearing it to shreds or burn it, also the wood I'd been planning to use would definitly smush too easily. A formed case would definitly be the best way to go.
Do you need the case drafted up in CAD first, or can you take a box of guts and return a finished product for more cash? I do know Autocad, but I'm a little rusty. vcoleiro1 told me where to get the controls, and I saw some other tiny lolipop arcade joysticks that were better too. Here's one on another gameboy mod here:
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/custom-nintendo-game-boy-arcade-cabinet

Well, that all really depends on what you'd need done. I mean forming a mini-cab is a bit different than forming a case for a portable, most notably because to keep it symmetrical, you have to do two edge molds and in this case, that would mean you'd have a giant seam going right through the middle of the cab. If I formed it the other way, I wouldn't have any flat surfaces to mold from so I'd have to build the whole cab first and then form it wouldn't have a favorable outcome either.

The best bet would be to make up the individual pieces and I can cut them with my machine out of 1/8" MDF stock. Then you can assemble it on site with glue or whatever you choose. If you get me some rough dimensions I can draw up a model for you and we'll see where we want to go from there.

It wouldn't be the cheapest way to do it as this would probably take me a minimum of 10 to 12 hours to design, shape and cut, but the quality and precision of the parts would be well worth it. Let me know what you think though and if you need to get a hold of me faster, either leave a comment on my blog or send me an email at (info at cndcustomgaming dot com) and we can go from there! Hope to hear from you soon!
Hey guys, check out my new website and project showcase!
Also this is where my Case Making Guide can be found!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

It sounds like a plan! I'll aquire the controls and we'll work something out. It would be great if you could machine 2 side pieces with rounded edges, and then engrave grooves in them slightly indented from the edges for the top, front bits, back and bottom to be sandwiched in to give it an authentic arcade cab shape. I'm not in a hurry to get this done, but glad to hear you are prepared to do it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

So what kind of ideas might work for 2 slot MVS?
SNK covered a portion of the work already, with their metal top.
And the bottom is obviously quite flat. No design skill needed to figure that out.

Leaving the sides our biggest problem...
Lum fan.