Discuss all hardware and software modifications
mason
32-bit

dreamcast hardrive!!!!!

by mason Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:20 am

There is some talk about this on the internet, attaching a hard-drive to a dreamcast and I know its possible. anything can be hacked. I would like to know if anyone knows anything about this or if you have done it. Maybe we should get a group together, we all want our dreamcasts to live forever and we all know that playing cd-rs on it will ruin it faster than otherwise.

mason
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:43 am

We've had threads about this already. Just give up. It's not possible to use the drive in any real way, and it's nearly impossible to even hook one up.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:19 am

I'm sure you can hook up an HD to a Dreamcast (there's already a Floppy Drive for it). The only question is, is it worth it? nullDC is looking pretty promising.
Droid party
Next-Gen

by Droid party Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:15 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:I'm sure you can hook up an HD to a Dreamcast (there's already a Floppy Drive for it). The only question is, is it worth it? nullDC is looking pretty promising.

Yeah but there aint nothing like playing on original hardware. Even if you have to mod the hell out of it to make it work. But as far as if it possible, well sure anything is possible with enough work but copying games for the dc was always so easy and Hdd's with enough space were so expensive that I guess nobody bothered back then. Maybe someone will blow us all away any day now with some amazing mod that allows us to hook up an external hard drive but I don't see it happening.
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
mason
32-bit

by mason Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:19 am

yeah exactly that was my point and when I become a millionare I'm either going to buy 20 dreamcasts or pay someone to design a hard-drive for it.
Perseid
32-bit

by Perseid Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:42 am

Attaching the hard drive wouldn't be the hard part. Writing some sort of drive emulator similar to HDLoader on the PS2, on the other hand, would be insane. Getting it to do, well, anything would be insane.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:05 am

Perseid wrote:Attaching the hard drive wouldn't be the hard part. Writing some sort of drive emulator similar to HDLoader on the PS2, on the other hand, would be insane. Getting it to do, well, anything would be insane.
I get the impression that software like HDLoader only exists because the hardware itself already had some sort of minimal support for that function, for games like FFXI.
d123456
Next-Gen

by d123456 Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:41 am

Sega should release a Dreamcast with 480p HDMI support and wireless controllers and a built in 40 GB HD with the 100 best Dreamcast games on it and and sell it for USD 400.
One day...........................
marurun

by marurun Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:21 am

In order for a hard drive to work you'd have to find a high-speed interface to the DC and then you'd have to reprogram the BIOS/Firmware to that it knows what to do with it. Possible, but hard. And the people with those skills have other priorities right now what with drooling over more recent systems.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dudex77
32-bit

by dudex77 Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:39 am

I'm pretty sure DClinux is compatible with a harddrive. I'm sure in the future when plug and play systems have really developed we will be buying wire less Dreamcast controllers with 40 games stored in solid state flash cards in the controller
Return to Hacks and Mods