Idea for PS2 Network Adapter SATA Mod.

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
LentFilms
32-bit

Idea for PS2 Network Adapter SATA Mod.

Post by LentFilms »

Okay, so I've had this idea for a while now.

In order to get SATA 3.5 internal HDD's to work inside a phat PS2 most people either use the knock off Chinese adapters (which I hear suck and are way too expensive) or perform the IDE to SATA mod talked about here,
viewtopic.php?p=328569

The problem I have with this mod is that it requires at least adequate soldering skills, which I don't exactly have.

The idea I have is to take an IDE power and ribbon extension cables like these,

Then shave off a bit of the top of the network adapter so the extension cables can loop over the adapter and not get pinched when being plugged up to the PS2.
To get a feel for what I'm getting at here is two pictures

ImageImage

If I'm thinking about this correctly there should be enough room if some of the plastic on the top was removed and maybe a little of the adapters metal shielding.

Once the two extension cables are bleeding out the back of the PS2 you can plug up an IDE to SATA adapter to the cables, such as this one,

Then plug a SATA HDD to it. In theory this should work since it's basically doing exactly what the other mod did above, only now the space for the HDD isn't limited since it's no longer in the HDD bay of the PS2, so cramming the IDE to SATA chip into the adapter isn't needed.

Now is there anything I'm not thinking about here? Could this idea possibly work? I’m thinking about attempting it, but I’d like to run it by some experts before I bring a knife to a Network adapter.
SnowKitty
Next-Gen

Re: Idea for PS2 Network Adapter SATA Mod.

Post by SnowKitty »

this should, in theory work. but you're better off using extension cables and a laptop sized sata drive to keep it internal without having to cut the net adapter up at all. if you're going to cut the net adapter up, you may as well just do the full on SATA conversion. it DOES require soldering, but it's very basic. four easy wires for the power cable. the soldering isn't the hard part though, it's cutting the plastic and getting everything lined up just perfectly, there's not a whole lot of wiggle room when epoxying things into place. you can also check the thread linked in my forum sig if you're interested in having someone else do the SATA conversion mod for you.
need console mods or repairs? check my thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37236
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

SnowKitty's SATA network adapter works great.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

SnowKitty wrote:this should, in theory work. but you're better off using extension cables and a laptop sized sata drive to keep it internal without having to cut the net adapter up at all.
What I end up doing in the end is a little up in the air at the moment. I might end up performing the internal mod on my own, just to try something new. Though I could end up skimping out and doing my Sloppy Joe mod instead.

In either case, what would the ideal SATA to IDE adapter be?
Last edited by LentFilms on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
jinn
128-bit

Post by jinn »

I added a eSATA connection to my SLIM PS2 and use a External USB/eSATA 1TB HDD.
Good luck in the mod and don't forget to make a WIP log.
PSone, Xbox, PS2, DC, SS Mod Service, PM for details
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

I know CRTGAMER has an image of this adapter,
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-SATA-Drive-In ... B002Y2NI4M
in his PS2 HARD DRIVE HDAdvance/HDLoader Guide.

Can anyone here vouch for it's reliability?
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

Alright, so I have a new idea.

Instead of plugging extension cables up to the Network adapter, you could instead plug the IDE to SATA adapter directly to the network adapter. Then plug a SATA to eSATA extension cable up to the IDE to SATA adapter in the PS2. Once the top of the network adapter has been shaved off a bit, bleed the cable out of the PS2 and connect it to a USB & eSATA enclosure that has the HDD inside, like this one.
ImageImage

I like this idea better then having it be internal because the drive can be easily removed and plugged into a PC to transfer games via USB.

Does this have a probability of working or would there be to many signals being translated?
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

The official network adaptors that take IDE drives are like 6 bucks now at gamestop. Why go through all of this? SATA drives are cool and all but is it that hard to still find working IDE drives? Not to spam here but I have three extra official network adaptors if anyone needs them
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

IDE drives are old, costly and fetch a pretty penny if you need anything that holds a substantial amount of space and I don't believe there is an IDE drive that can hold 1tb.

SATA is bigger, better and more affordable. For instance, a used 500gb IDE drive fetches about the same as a new/used 1tb SATA.

Besides, IDE drives won't be around for much longer (I don't even think there being made still). Future proofing things is a wise investment.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

fair enough, all valid points. I got a new 320GB IDE a while back, and that's plenty of space for me. Probably a stupid question, but why not just use a notebook hard drive (2.5) to buy yourself some extra physical space in the drive bay? Regardless, I think your Idea in the OP should work fine, I see no reason as to why it would not assuming the adapter you're using is one that people have had luck with.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.