Discuss all hardware and software modifications
diehllane
32-bit

WiiKey Mod

by diehllane Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:43 pm

So I am thinking about buying a Wii here soon and, of course, modding it.

I was looking at the WiiKey which is just a PCB board with solderable points, rather than a chip with wires.

Anyone out there have a modded Wii that would like to share their method of modding? I know you can make your own mod chip if you have a Pic Programmer. I could have a friend do it for me if I wanted, but I figured going mainstream might be the best way to go about it. I feel like I'd be more likely to get updates going with a big name chip rather than open source code.

Thanks
executioner
Next-Gen

by executioner Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:49 pm

Why go to the trouble if they are so cheap, that's what I think. Wiikey or cyclowiz seems the way to go and I've watched some pics and video tutorials and it seems the mod is easy as a saturn modchip installation which doesn't require that much skill. Have to order one in the next weeks and can tell you my results next month when the chip arrives. A friend of mine is running wiikey with the latest update and playing mario galaxy just fine but he had his professionally installed but I'm a do it myself type.

Be sure to read up on the new chip versions on the Wii itself because you will need extra steps on the mod. You can check this site with the serial so you can know which version it could be.

http://nintendo-scene.com/wiitracker/search.php
pixelbender
24-bit

by pixelbender Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:34 pm

I have a Wiikey (well, a cheap $11 clone anyways!). I never had a GC, so I was looking into GC homebrew (although admittedly, I have been soo busy I haven't even updated the Wiikey I put in there yet).

To do the install is like doing the D0 on an Xbox only 6 times over. While I have not modded a PS2, I can easily say that the Wii is MUCH harder than the original Xbox due to the fact that you're soldering 5-6 30awg wires. I soldered the wires to the DVD drive first and trimmed them a little bit. Then I put solder on the pads of the wiikey, then joined them together.

The most difficult part was that when heating up the solder on the Wiikey pads, the heat transfered to the wires and to the solder points on the DVD player. I acidentally took 1 wire off this way, but was able to be re-applied.

If you have not soldered before, I personally would not attempt this. My soldering backround isn't much, 4 regular Xboxs (one where I had to take out the solder on the MOBO) and other general large-wire soldering on a car. YMMV.
kinn
64-bit

by kinn Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:39 pm

With the Wiikey you can just use the solder points and not use any wires. But everyone says that its best to use wires.

Its also quite hard especially considering how small the chip and its points are.
360 Gamer Tag = Kinn, PS3 Tag = xKINNx, Wii = 3036 8283 1247 3110
Overdosed on Gaming
pixelbender
24-bit

by pixelbender Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:26 am

kinn wrote:With the Wiikey you can just use the solder points and not use any wires. But everyone says that its best to use wires.

Its also quite hard especially considering how small the chip and its points are.

Yeah, I looked at doing the solder points method, but the height of the Wiikey PCB is so great that it is easier to do the wire method.
diehllane
32-bit

by diehllane Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:30 am

Okay thanks.

I'll be sure to use wires if I go ahead and do this. I can do the wires onto the Wii before doing them to the chip. That way the chip won't be in my way. 5 wires isn't a lot. I know it'll take me more time just to open up the damn Wii probably. There's a lot you have to do to disassemble them I see.
kinn
64-bit

by kinn Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:11 am

diehllane wrote:Okay thanks.

I'll be sure to use wires if I go ahead and do this. I can do the wires onto the Wii before doing them to the chip. That way the chip won't be in my way. 5 wires isn't a lot. I know it'll take me more time just to open up the damn Wii probably. There's a lot you have to do to disassemble them I see.

So....many....screws :? Just try and keep tabs on which screws go where.
360 Gamer Tag = Kinn, PS3 Tag = xKINNx, Wii = 3036 8283 1247 3110
Overdosed on Gaming
nightwalker
64-bit

by nightwalker Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:57 am

Just got my Wiikey yesterday. And all I have to say....
Its freakin hard to soldier that thing!!!!!!!! Its about the size of a nickel!!!!!!. It took me 4 hours to get it done. Dont get scared about opening the Wii its easy I took it apart in 5 minutes its simple just follow a decent guide you can find one here
http://modyawii.psx-scene.com/ (If linking this site is prohibited moz or racket take it away) it doesn't sell anything its just a guide to taking your wii apart.
The hard part is soldering that little fellow and when I say little its little. But don't worry I don't have any experience soldering whatsoever and did it hehe. The best part its easy to upgrade the firmware just burn a dvd with the update and voila. Ive been playing mario galaxy for 5 hours and I have to say awesome game.

Edit
Oh I forgot I didn't used the wires I did the quicksolder pattern the wire method I found it difficult for me being so little the chip
"The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty"
Amarant Coral
diehllane
32-bit

ordered chip

by diehllane Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:00 pm

I ordered my D2C Key today.

I'll have to buy a new iron for this. The one I have has a fairly large tip.

I hope it goes well.

I don't like the whole 30+ wires idea... so I am going to have a friend do it for me. He has more experience soldering than I do.
nightwalker
64-bit

by nightwalker Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:19 pm

Just be extremely careful with that one!! If your friends has a pair of magnifier glasses i recommend he uses one of those and first off to measure the wires where your chip is gonna be. I did one of those also for a friend of mine and yes it does works but it was a pain to solder all those points.
"The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty"
Amarant Coral
Return to Hacks and Mods