Discuss all hardware and software modifications
User avatar
bk13
8-bit
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:06 am

Are Saturn mod chips worth it? Will it run any game?

by bk13 Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:23 am

Hello, a little new here. I've been surfing around the web for the last couple of days trying to find an easy way to play some old Saturn games. I do have a Saturn, but my library is limited to just NiGHTS. I have tried all the emulators, but compatibility issues are running rampant. So, I thought I'd invest in a mod chip.

I'm not very experienced with this sort of thing, but I have friends that could probably help. I'd also like to know what games it will run. Now, I have a US Saturn, model II with the round buttons. I haven't opened it up to see if it's a 32 pin, but from the descriptions it sounds like I have the right one. Now, if you want to play CD-Rs, you have to make sure that the .iso file is in the right region. So I'd have to find one that is for the U.S. right? Is that the case?

Overall I'm just a bit wary buying stuff that could potentially screw up my system. However, judging from all the great reviews people have posted, and the great service and ease of use, I'm a little less worried.
User avatar
Droid party
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:23 pm
Location: Stuck in my childhood.

by Droid party Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:03 am

No you don't have to make sure that they are U.S games, that's kinda the point of the mod chip, the ability to play any (saturn) disc on your machine regardless of whether it is pal,ntsc, copied or whatever.
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9454
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

by racketboy Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:06 am

Droid party wrote:No you don't have to make sure that they are U.S games, that's kinda the point of the mod chip, the ability to play any (saturn) disc on your machine regardless of whether it is pal,ntsc, copied or whatever.


Well, you have to patch the region code on import games if it isn't patched already.
You won't be able to play original copies of import games without a separate region mod.
But yes, one way or another, you can play any game with a chip.

If you have a 32-pinner, you should be able to pull this off with little effort and risk.
User avatar
bk13
8-bit
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:06 am

by bk13 Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:19 am

Sounds good. Thanks for the replies. Once I wake up I'll take a look inside my Saturn to see what it's made of. I'll probably then order a chip too. They're in stock now, right?
Last edited by bk13 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9454
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

by racketboy Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:29 am

bk13 wrote:Sounds good. Thanks for the replies. Once I wake up I'll take a look inside my Saturn to see what it's made of. I'll probably then order a chip too. They're in stock now, right?


Yes they are.
Thanks!
User avatar
bk13
8-bit
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:06 am

by bk13 Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:32 am

I opened it up now, but I'm not sure what to look for. Where is the 32 pin thing? Do I take things out?

EDIT: Here's a pic of what I'm looking at.

Image
User avatar
nightwalker
64-bit
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:04 am
Location: Puerto Rico, USA

by nightwalker Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 am

Your in luck dude!!! :D You got a model 2 32 pin saturn the easiest one to mod and the one that racket sells the chip for. So hurry and buy the chip from him. And if you need a guide to installing it check this site out it was the one that help me out.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/Raluminat/saturnmod.html
"The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty"
Amarant Coral
User avatar
bk13
8-bit
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:06 am

by bk13 Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:57 am

Great! I just put in my order now.

So, how do I burn on the games? I have plenty of CD-Rs, so what files should I put on them? Just the .iso file?
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9454
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

by racketboy Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:59 am

bk13 wrote:Great! I just put in my order now.

So, how do I burn on the games? I have plenty of CD-Rs, so what files should I put on them? Just the .iso file?


This page should have most of the info you'll need:
http://www.racketboy.com/guides/saturn.htm
User avatar
Droid party
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:23 pm
Location: Stuck in my childhood.

by Droid party Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:20 am

racketboy wrote:
Droid party wrote:No you don't have to make sure that they are U.S games, that's kinda the point of the mod chip, the ability to play any (saturn) disc on your machine regardless of whether it is pal,ntsc, copied or whatever.


Well, you have to patch the region code on import games if it isn't patched already.
You won't be able to play original copies of import games without a separate region mod.
But yes, one way or another, you can play any game with a chip.

If you have a 32-pinner, you should be able to pull this off with little effort and risk.


Thanks for cleaning up my misinformation. :)
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
Return to Hacks and Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest