So.... Some SNESes output YPbPr.....

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
SNES_is_the_Best
8-bit

Re: So.... Some SNESes output YPbPr.....

Post by SNES_is_the_Best »

theclaw wrote:
SNES_is_the_Best wrote:This is where I'm getting at myself. I'm actually already sick and tired of retyping and/or rephrasing the same thing over and over. I honestly do not know what else I can possibly say or do. Its as if all our words and energy have been completely wasted.

Well let's test my initial suggestion then.
Take an SHVC-CPU-01, reduce its smoothing only, to a level between it and the 1chip.

This way the color levels or any other 1chip effects are not introduced.

You'll have to modify the software within the 2 separate PPU's. Don't see that happening.
Last edited by SNES_is_the_Best on Mon May 05, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Gaming peaked with the SNES/Genesis era. Its been downhill ever since.
SNES_is_the_Best
8-bit

Zing wrote:
SNES_is_the_Best wrote:I've used the Avia DVD as well on my Trinitron via Component, and for some reason (that I am currently unable to pin down) the calibration settings for Avia and for my NES, SNES, and N64 are not the same.

I believe this is due to Avia being on 480i, and my consoles being on 240p. Like I said, I'm not able to pin down the "exact" reason/s, but I think my conjecture of 480i vs. 240p is close to accurate.

I've noticed the same thing. I assumed it was due to signal timing differences from the DVD player. I eventually stopped using it for calibrating anything but geometry. I adjust geometry and overscan using Avia, then simply adjust the user settings (sharpness, etc) by eye using a game console.

Here's something you might be interested in. http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite

This is currently 240p calibration software that can used on the Sega Genesis (ether via flashcart or custom reproduction cart or burned CD for SegaCD). And - a SNES version is being looked into!

My guess though is that if you calibrate your Sega Genesis with this software then it will probably be very close to what the SNES requires.
Last edited by SNES_is_the_Best on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Hey, that's awesome!
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

The ghosting is there on the model 2 when using composite. Also, it does not go away even if you turn your contrast down. It appears to be in the signal itself.

I really wanted the model 2 to be great. I went out of my way to purchase one new-in-box, and spent much time and effort to track down a legit second controller new-in-box. At first, I thought it was fine. Then I noticed the vertical line. This led me to look more closely at the screen, which made me notice that the whites were too blue. Then, a bit of Super Mario World revealed the ghosting. I did a battery of tests comparing it to my O.G. model, the reluctantly put the model 2 stuff back in box, where it still sits today. I probably spent almost $400 on that stuff, so if anyone should be desperate for it to be useable, it would be me.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

So does the SNES having the S-ENC chip matter or not in terms of quality difference if I'm just using RGB? Besides it being component-moddable that is. I'm using a UN-14xxxxxx model at the moment which Snes_Is_the_Best says doesn't have it.

Definitely need to load up that 240p calibration rom.
SNES_is_the_Best
8-bit

Zing wrote:The ghosting is there on the model 2 when using composite. Also, it does not go away even if you turn your contrast down. It appears to be in the signal itself.

I really wanted the model 2 to be great. I went out of my way to purchase one new-in-box, and spent much time and effort to track down a legit second controller new-in-box. At first, I thought it was fine. Then I noticed the vertical line. This led me to look more closely at the screen, which made me notice that the whites were too blue. Then, a bit of Super Mario World revealed the ghosting. I did a battery of tests comparing it to my O.G. model, the reluctantly put the model 2 stuff back in box, where it still sits today. I probably spent almost $400 on that stuff, so if anyone should be desperate for it to be useable, it would be me.

I feel your pain. I didn't spend as much money as you, but I did go out of my way to get nearly all SNES models without yellowing (didn't try the SNS-CPU-GPM yet).

Anyway, so far it appears that SHVC-CPU-01 - Best Picture (at least in the sense that there is no visual glitches or ghosting or overdriven whites).

dogman91 wrote:So does the SNES having the S-ENC chip matter or not in terms of quality difference if I'm just using RGB? Besides it being component-moddable that is. I'm using a UN-14xxxxxx model at the moment which Snes_Is_the_Best says doesn't have it.

Definitely need to load up that 240p calibration rom.

Again, I'm not 100% sure if the UN12xxxxxx, or UN13xxxxxxx, or UN14xxxxxxx, or UN15xxxxxx have the S-ENC. But I'm 99% sure that all UN16xxxxxx and UN17xxxxxxx have it. Check out my other comments above.

Speaking of the 240p rom, I think it would be really awesome to have it done in a fancy reproduction cart with a custom label. I would go for that!
Last edited by SNES_is_the_Best on Mon May 05, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 11 times in total.
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

SNES_is_the_Best wrote:SHVC-CPU-01 - Best Picture

Fuck it I'm done with this thread
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

ApolloBoy wrote:

His reasons make sense to me... depends on what you want in the end. I'd like to know when I'm playing a game it won't glitch up, for instance. I wouldn't say it's the "best" more than it's different too (IMO).

Would love to see a comparison of the S-ENC chip versus without btw with RGB for the SHVC-CPU-01... I'm hoping there's no difference if only for the fact I don't have to go out and buy another SNES. :P
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

My SNES is an early model with the discrete sound module. I don't know the PCB revision as I have never opened this one, but the serial is UN13431967.
SNES_is_the_Best
8-bit

dogman91 wrote:
ApolloBoy wrote:

His reasons make sense to me... depends on what you want in the end.

My reasons are clear.
Last edited by SNES_is_the_Best on Mon May 05, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.