Discuss all hardware and software modifications
racketboy
Site Admin

Play Super Mario Bros Arcade on a Console

by racketboy Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:19 pm

GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:48 pm

Awesome, I used to play a SMB Arcade machine at an Auction House when my Dad would buy slot cars at auction.
If I ever get an NES, I'll be sure to do this mod. :)
raztat
128-bit

by raztat Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:51 pm

i would like to do this mod but i would be afraid i would mess up my nes and it not work in any way. maybe i can get my friend to help and we could build this. it would be fun. awesome link.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:57 pm

raztat wrote:i would like to do this mod but i would be afraid i would mess up my nes and it not work in any way. maybe i can get my friend to help and we could build this. it would be fun. awesome link.

An NES costs mere pennies now a days. Run down to a local pawn shop or flea market and grab a 5 dollar one. You'll probably have a harder time finding the RAM and eprom's you'll need (and burning them as well) then to find a cheap as semi functioning NES.

Keep in mind the hardware in the NES is very well built. The only shit part of the thing is the cartridge slot... which you will be removing anyways. So finding one in the condition you need it is pretty damn easy.

Ne ways... damn cool mod. This is the kinda stuff that makes me want to investigate real computer engineering. I just don't have the resources laying around for it to learn, and I refuse to take classes (at the exorbitant prices they run for) and wait the 4 years to only get a very basic understanding of it.

For instance, in only 2 months I've taught myself more programming then 2 years of school has taught any of my friends. Downside is it requires a lot more work from the one learning to figure it all out with out a teacher.

hence my slow lurch toward computer engineering. I've mostly just stuck to basic modification stuff... nothing this freakin' extensive.

Damn cool though... props to the creator!
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:32 pm

lordofduct wrote:For instance, in only 2 months I've taught myself more programming then 2 years of school has taught any of my friends.

I know what you mean, in about 3 months, I learned HTML well enough to make a decently designed sight, whereas in the Web Design class I took (hey, easy credit) it took a whole week for th e class to learn how to insert an image... in Dream Weaver! I did all of the assignments in HTML faster than the rest of the kids could in Dream Weaver. The nice thing about that class though, is that it went over Flash and Fireworks and taught some useful things (ie. centering two objects).
extrarice
64-bit

by extrarice Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:05 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:
lordofduct wrote:For instance, in only 2 months I've taught myself more programming then 2 years of school has taught any of my friends.

I know what you mean, in about 3 months, I learned HTML well enough to make a decently designed sight, whereas in the Web Design class I took (hey, easy credit) it took a whole week for th e class to learn how to insert an image... in Dream Weaver! I did all of the assignments in HTML faster than the rest of the kids could in Dream Weaver. The nice thing about that class though, is that it went over Flash and Fireworks and taught some useful things (ie. centering two objects).

Completely off-topic, but I strongly urge you to learn how to code HTML/XHTML and CSS by hand (i.e., a text editor and not a WYSIWYG generator like DreamWeaver). You will be much more flexible and have the ability to integrate other technologies, such as php or (gag) ASP, Ruby, AJAX, and other such things.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Amazing mod. I'd love to be able to play vs. Super Mario Bros. on real hardware again. That game is tough. I know there's a way to cram a PlayChoice 10 into NES chassis, but you have to get your hands on a PC-10 and fiddle with the video output to get the colors to look right on a standard tv.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:49 pm

extrarice wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:

Completely off-topic, but I strongly urge you to learn how to code HTML/XHTML and CSS by hand (i.e., a text editor and not a WYSIWYG generator like DreamWeaver). You will be much more flexible and have the ability to integrate other technologies, such as php or (gag) ASP, Ruby, AJAX, and other such things.

I've been coding in (X)HTML and CSS for about a year and a half now and man, I love it so much that I've decided to do this as a career.

Back on topic, I think that now I want to buy that machine at the auction house, I think I still know where it is.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:41 pm

extrarice wrote:Completely off-topic, but I strongly urge you to learn how to code HTML/XHTML and CSS by hand (i.e., a text editor and not a WYSIWYG generator like DreamWeaver). You will be much more flexible and have the ability to integrate other technologies, such as php or (gag) ASP, Ruby, AJAX, and other such things.

He said in his post that he was using strait HTML... and learned it on his own. And that the class was teaching Dreamweaver, and he was able to do things faster using code than the other students could using DreamWeaver.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:42 pm

If you happen to be near an area there is an arcade game auction, like a Super Auction, there are usually a handful of VS's and Playchoice 10s that can be obtain for very little. I bought my tenttop for $150 and could have had a working Goonies standup for $60ish. A dual screen Playchoice 10 or standard Vs should set you back no more than $100 - depending on the game setup of the playchoice 10. The trick after that is to find the game you want - I am still hunting for a Vs Dr Mario or Vs Mario 2.
extrarice
64-bit

by extrarice Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:05 pm

lordofduct wrote:
extrarice wrote:Completely off-topic, but I strongly urge you to learn how to code HTML/XHTML and CSS by hand (i.e., a text editor and not a WYSIWYG generator like DreamWeaver). You will be much more flexible and have the ability to integrate other technologies, such as php or (gag) ASP, Ruby, AJAX, and other such things.

He said in his post that he was using strait HTML... and learned it on his own. And that the class was teaching Dreamweaver, and he was able to do things faster using code than the other students could using DreamWeaver.

Yes he did, and I totally missed it. Apologies all around. :(
Return to Hacks and Mods