Discuss all hardware and software modifications
lcsaeteurn

import cart and region changer?

by lcsaeteurn Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:15 pm

just wondering if this is possible,
1. change the region of the iso by using the region changer(ntsc to pal).
2. booting the game up on an ntsc saturn with the import/ar cart.

I know that my friends japanese saturn can play backup us saturn games with the import/ar/1-4meg cart.
please let me know. later then.
claudio
128-bit

by claudio Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:45 am

all you have to do is patch the iso with a simple region program. i think racketboy has it on his site somwehere, do a simple google search.

just patch to whatever region you need it and burn. its good for iso's and bin/cue format.
lcsaeteurn

by lcsaeteurn Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:10 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has tried it, and if it was possible. I am talking about doing it without a mod chip though. later then.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:35 pm

I don't get what your attempting here.

what is it. change US to Euro, boot on Jap Saturn? Jap to Euro, boot on US?

But you bring up ntsc/pal. The converters don't change the game from NTSC to Pal (video signals that is). They change the region between the three jap/euro/US.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Mr. Stripe
24-bit

by Mr. Stripe Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:54 pm

I think he's trying to get around having a mod chip by pretending a game is from a different region and using action replay to start it up. I think he is play back ups with an action replay cart instead of a mod chip.

but I think the answer is probably no, you cannot get around the "sega licensing" part of the disc with changing the region and using an action replay cart, but I have no idea if this is really possible because I haven't tried it.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:06 pm

no there is no way to get around the security ring with out a mod chip... or the swap trick.

Region checking and the Security Ring are two different steps in the process of booting. That is why mod-chips don't thwart region checking either. You still need to patch a ISO or using a AR cart (or st-key, region switch on the back... etc) even when you have a mod-chip.

If done right though, the swap trick can thwart both the region checking and security room. But I personally hate the swap trick... really annoying.

Mr. Stripe
24-bit

by Mr. Stripe Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:10 pm

I'm waiting on more mod chips becoming available because I only got the swap trick to work once and also I don't want to mess up my saturn's cd motor. After all, I just got my saturn.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:11 pm

I think I have one laying around on my desk some where... I know I used to, never did anything with it. I wonder ::scratches head::

Mr. Stripe
24-bit

by Mr. Stripe Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:16 am

If you have it and aren't going to use it, I could take if off your hands. it's the same one they sell on this site right?

Are there different type modchips that you have to attach differently?
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:56 am

yeah, theres different kinds. I've been through 3 kinds myself (not meaning there are only 3 kinds, I've just used 3 kinds)... the standard 21 pin that used to be sold here, a different version of the same chip that was just slightly different, and the 21/20 pin modchip... kinda rare.

I don't know what kind the one on my desk is... haven't looked for it yet. Thats all the way on the other side of the house and well... I'm fuckin' lazy.

If it happens to be the 21 pinner I'll send it your way. If it's the 20/21 pin version, sorry, I'll want to keep that.

Return to Hacks and Mods