Looking for something to do?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
mason
32-bit

Looking for something to do?

Post by mason »

People are always doing little projects, mod this, translate that, what are we doing tonight?
What we do everynight pinky, Try to take over the world.

why not do something great no person has ever attempted to do?

Take the speech files from the xbox version of Shenmue II and rip them into the dreamcast version, therefore replacing the japanease speech for the english speech. It's already been done on U.G. Gamer- space channel five part 2 for the dreamcast Its a great idea, why not have the full version of shenmue II on the system it was made to shine for!!!
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

This is either the second or third time this has been mentioned here. I forget the reasons why no one has done it, but remember that the pirated Shenmue 2 copies for DC have all the casual dialog removed. The only voices you hear are during the important plot points.
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

What?? There is a translated DC SC5 Part2??
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Pullmyfinger wrote:What?? There is a translated DC SC5 Part2??

That is EXACTLY my comment. Where???
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

Post by grittykitty »

here it is:
http://underground-gamer.com/details.php?id=15306

i got this a long time ago, but i haven't tried it yet
ImportBoy
64-bit

Post by ImportBoy »

Would rather go the opposite direction myself - but in this case for Shenmue I - taking the Japanese audio and replacing it in the US/EU version. That way you have Japanese voice-acting with English subtitles. I imagine the principles in both cases would be the same though.

I have both versions of Shenmue I....just waiting to get a BBA before I can rip them.

Only trouble I would forsee is that Shenmue I and II both use -entire multiple- GD-ROMs. So I think for a project like this would be either aiming for play on an emulator or use those 99-minute 870MB CD-Rs on the Dreamcast itslf.
-ImportBoy
Over 700 Saturn Games Available - Downloads, Information, & How To Guides
http://www.sega-saturn.us - kaneda@sega-saturn.us
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

ImportBoy wrote:Would rather go the opposite direction myself - but in this case for Shenmue I - taking the Japanese audio and replacing it in the US/EU version. That way you have Japanese voice-acting with English subtitles. I imagine the principles in both cases would be the same though.

I have both versions of Shenmue I....just waiting to get a BBA before I can rip them.

Only trouble I would forsee is that Shenmue I and II both use -entire multiple- GD-ROMs. So I think for a project like this would be either aiming for play on an emulator or use those 99-minute 870MB CD-Rs on the Dreamcast itslf.

I'm totally with you in most of the cases, but I think Space Channel 5 actually sounds better with the non-Japanese audio. Although in most games (given subtitles so I can understand it) I would rather have the original, non-dubbed audio. Same goes for movies and anime.

As for the link: thanks a lot to Gritty - I need to try that one.
If anyone else has tried it I'd be interested to know if it has been downsampled at all (probably, given that otherwise it wouldn't fit in the CD-R), and if it was well synced (would be annoying to have the control input out of sync with the audio).

Ivo.
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

is it dead? did anyone get it?
Reyals

Post by Reyals »

I've been thinking about making a portable Saturn, but since I'm so inexperienced and from what I hear the motherboard is very hard to compact, I'm just going to wait and see if anyone else has a go at it.

EDIT: Sorry if that was a bit off-topic. I misunderstood the original post.