Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Raz1r
24-bit

Playstation One, Casemod + Modchip + LED mod (Need help)

by Raz1r Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:13 am

Objective: Make a cool looking Playstation that can also play "backups" and imports. I'm looking for longevity, and versatility.
Budget: $35
Time: 1-2 weeks including shipping

So my local Thrift Shop is having a 1/2 off sale again. After raiding their store for 4 DMG-01 Gameboys, Corpse Killer (Sega CD) and Die Hard Trilogy (Saturn), 10-ish boxed complete Genesis games, 2 Game Gear games and a NES controller for $12 I've decided to return. I just bought another Super Mario/Duck Hunt for a Hard Drive mod along with a few SNES games. I noticed they had 7-8 old school Playstations and one PSOne. All priced at $15. So that is $7.

So which model should I look for? I have seen some with Parallel ports on the back, others without. I have already looked to make sure that none have A/V out, as those tend to go for a bit on eBay. So what model number should I be looking for? Should I go with the PSOne, even though I can only get a blue shell for it? I reallly wanted to do a Black Smoke shell with a red LED.

Where is a good place to buy Playstation modchips? I can only really do Paypal.
Last edited by Raz1r on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

by Pullmyfinger Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:21 am

Get the slim psone, it reads discs a lot better, as for the modchip, I don't know, I bought one in Mexico City for 50 pesos (around $4.50)
Raz1r
24-bit

by Raz1r Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:42 am

Ok, I'll go for the slim if it's still there. If not, I guess I'm looking for an SCPH-9001 and down.

I wish I could just drive to Mexico, but I'm in Florida so I'm gonna have to get one off the internet.
The Apprentice
128-bit

by The Apprentice Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:41 am

If the PsOne is gone try the latest or earliest model PS1s. The earliest models have a parrellel port and a few other ports missing from other ones. The latest is the most reliable, with a better built cd-rom drive.
Hatta wrote:Die Hard Arcade has Deep Scan in it. That's like retro inside retro. They must have heard we liked retro (dawg).
Jrecee wrote:What I like to do is knit little sweaters to put on the games.
Raz1r
24-bit

by Raz1r Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:50 am

Ugh. I went to the beach (SKIM!) today and didn't leave early enough to get to the place before work. I might have to wait a little bit for another 1/2 off sale, they tend to do them every other week to get rid of stock. I tried sending my Dad in there, but he doesn't know a Playstation from an Atari. Chances are, the slim is gone.

I remember seeing a few ones with a Parallel port, and the Case Shell I'm getting is made for that one. Now that I think about it, I remember seeing a device that probably plugged into the back of a Parallel port. I can't remember the name, but I think it was pretty cheap. If I do go back I plan on picking up both. Maybe that device will hold me over until I get a mod chip.

Speaking of mod chips, I looked up www.mod-chip.com on that Reseller ratings site, and the place seems to have some pretty good rep. I will probably buy from there.
Return to Hacks and Mods