Discuss all hardware and software modifications
d123456
Next-Gen

Optimizing PS2 games to 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv

Post by d123456 »

Download 2.5, here: http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/65922664/file.html
Optimizing PS2 games to run in 480p (progressive scan) and 240p
Tested on a hd-ready plasma & a fat PAL ps2 50001
There are lots of ps2 games that support 480p natively: wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pl ... HD_support
But for the games that do not support 480p, there are some options. After weeks of testing I can finally put together a list of some of my favorite games which can be optimized with tools running on Windows or with an ELF that should be run on the ps2. Amn ELF is basically an executable program that a (soft)modded ps2 can execute
I have tested lots of games to see if their quality could be improved. Either deinterlacing them to 240p or forcing them to 480p. So look if any of your favorite games are listed, you enjoy them in a better quality
For 240p any cable will work (vga cable excluded unless you have a cga display....)
Forcing them to 480p: you will need a 480p capable tv and either a compoNENT cable or a vga cable or order to enjoy 480p, it´s worth it. Get an original cable from Sony
I have tried several tools listed below:
240p hex replace method tio use with iso´s.
240p HEX Change:
HEX Code:
01 00 24 32 ff 00 45 32
to
HEX Code:
00 00 04 20 ff 00 45 32

AND

HEX Code:
01 00 24 32 04 00 06 a6
to
HEX Code:
00 00 04 20 04 00 06 a6

I suggest HxD Hexeditor 1.7.7.0
Put search and view to HEX, important. Use find and replace, save then burn to disc.
Original Thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17808

Patch with ps2force480p.exe. Not so important since I got nothing working correctly, use with iso´s
Original Thread:http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24583&hilit=480p

GSM 0.36
ELF to execute from ulaunch (cannot be run from free mc booted ps2 main menu, needs to be run from ulaunch)
Just copy it on a usb stick or HDD
Original Thread: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f19/gs-mode ... ack-61808/
Sometimes GSM will make a 480i game look like a 240p game. Line doubling. It will have the resolution of a ps1 game.

HDTV ELF
ELF can be excuted from free mc booted ps2 main menu
The results are a mixed bag, though there are some
Original thread http://snesorama.us/board/showthread.php?t=60209
Lot of times, hdtv will do something weird which I call fake 480p. The 1st frame will be the 1st frame of the 1st 480i frame, but line doubled. The 2nd frame will be the 2nd frame of the 480i signal, but line doubled. This results in what looks like interlacing emulation. This is not real 480p. Although your tv will say it is a 480p signal it actually looks worst and flashes alot, not like a 480p signal should be
Yet this is different from the effect that gsm sometimes gives
For use with hdtv xploder I recommend patching with esr patcher. Just put in and esr will start automatically (if it has been configured correctly)
ESR vs. SWAP. Suggest burning iso´s after they have been esr-patched. It seems that if for a certain title. Esr does not work out so well, like Psikyo 3. it can still be swapped with let´s say R.K. Swapper
Also in alot of cases games forced to 480p hang during loading of video sequences or in same cases just images/logos. It is always good to try and jam start button and either O or X button depending on region to skip video. What would we best is to remove the video altogether from the game. But I haven´t had time to delve into that yet.
About the results. I have copy and pasted it from a sheet. Might be a bit hard to understand. Let me know and I can improve it. I will continue to update it.
It´s basically game name, region, way of booting, tool used, result, sound or no sound, Y offset to use in GSM
Way of booting in my case is either hdloader 0.8c or swap magic
Sound or no sound is when the screen goes black, but you can actually hear the game playing in the background,might be useful information for devs
There are 2 results sections. First section lists the games that really improve. Second section is a list of games that either do not work, or flash or are line doubled. Not worth it. But good to know so no-one else needs to test it
If you have any questions/suggestions let me know.
Getting to run elfs on your ps2, just please make a seperate thread for that
Last edited by d123456 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
d123456
Next-Gen

Re: Optimizing PS2 games to 480p (progressive scan) and 240p

Post by d123456 »

Updated with more results!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Some great stuff. I tried HD Xploder myself, reviewed in my CRT vs LCD signature link. I like the idea of a total conversion that runs 480p ready in the hard drive. I went to your links and looked at the zoomed in pics, but could not really see that much a difference of the cropped too close pics. I am thinking of converting Gradius V.

Maybe separate your extensive list in the OP? Working and Not Completely Working?

Could you post a couple full uncropped screenshots of before and after of a working 480p converted game? You can keep the attached pics at just under 800 wide to make for an easier post read.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

CRTGAMER wrote:Some great stuff. I tried HD Xploder myself, reviewed in my CRT vs LCD signature link. I like the idea of a total conversion that runs 480p ready in the hard drive. I went to your links and looked at the zoomed in pics, but could not really see that much a difference of the cropped too close pics. I am thinking of converting Gradius V.

Maybe separate your extensive list in the OP? Working and Not Completely Working?

Could you post a couple full uncropped screenshots of before and after of a working 480p converted game? You can keep the attached pics at just under 800 wide to make for an easier post read.

Unfortunately I have yet to see a 480p patched game that works. Apprantly Gradius V works. Have not tried it, but I can get it to 480p in other ways already, so it wouldn´t be that special. And when patching it it might not be centered. With GSM you can pre select to get it centered vertically with value -16.
As to pictures. Are you referring to 240p or 480p. For 480p Just go to any thread that discusses the Dreamcast VGA adapter. Same deal. For 240p. The shmups thread should cover it. Just try it for yourself. Results may vary depending on the tv.
I am going to seperate the results. Good idea. Thanks
And guess what I just discovered? Fate Unlimited Codes works in true 480p! You just need to patch it with ESR, since hdtv xploder somehow does not like it if this particular game is swapped with swap magic :lol:
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Thanks for separating the working copies.

The GSM link was dead but I found this:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f19/gs-mode-selector-development-feedback-61808/

Okay the way I understand this is GSM will only boot CDs, not installed games. I already have the Xploder Disc so which does this. A slightly off centered pic is the result. My HD CRT does not compensate for this.

The real obstacle is running a converted to 480p game installed in the hard drive. This is the reason why your list comes in handy, it shows games that have worked for a direct run or install. Whenever I get around to trying this by an ISO rewrite, I'll post the results here.

Are there any games you seen converted at your other sites, a pic?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

I'm currently playing PS2 games either in 1080p and 480p. I was not able to play games in 576p and 720p, they crash the ps2 system or my HDtv doesn't support it. I've tried to play ps1 games (PS1 NTSC) option in GSM, but no luck. The display is very incorrect. I was not able to use 480p GSM for ps1 games at all. I assume they will work great on a standard TV. Overall it makes me want to play ps2 games more often now. while playing Disgaea 2 FMV scene looked better on hdtv now then before. There was a slight issue of sync unless it was a slightly badrip from Hdloader. I could not play street fighter alpha collection that is on ps2, the system freezes. it doesn't matter it looks fine in 480i.
I'm using: GSModeSelector_v0.23x beta, phat ps2, component cables.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

CRTGAMER wrote:The GSM link was dead but I found this:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f19/gs-mode-selector-development-feedback-61808/

Okay the way I understand this is GSM will only boot CDs, not installed games. I already have the Xploder Disc so which does this. A slightly off centered pic is the result. My HD CRT does not compensate for this.

The real obstacle is running a converted to 480p game installed in the hard drive. This is the reason why your list comes in handy, it shows games that have worked for a direct run or install. Whenever I get around to trying this by an ISO rewrite, I'll post the results here.

Are there any games you seen converted at your other sites, a pic?

Thanks, the link in my spreadsheat was fuxured. Fixed now.
GSM does boot into hdloader. It is an option in GSM. Just keep pressing SELECT until the hd loader option comes up. On my setup up that loads hdl0.8c. I play most if not all gsm 480p games this way.
Both with GSM and hdtv xploder you can move the screen any which way down the x and y-axis!
I have not yet had 1 good result with converting a ISO (rewrite) to 480p. The ps2force480p has not worked on anything I tried. Coasters! Apparantly Gradius V works.

benderx wrote:I'm currently playing PS2 games either in 1080p and 480p. I was not able to play games in 576p and 720p, they crash the ps2 system or my HDtv doesn't support it. I've tried to play ps1 games (PS1 NTSC) option in GSM, but no luck. The display is very incorrect. I was not able to use 480p GSM for ps1 games at all. I assume they will work great on a standard TV. Overall it makes me want to play ps2 games more often now. while playing Disgaea 2 FMV scene looked better on hdtv now then before. There was a slight issue of sync unless it was a slightly badrip from Hdloader. I could not play street fighter alpha collection that is on ps2, the system freezes. it doesn't matter it looks fine in 480i.
I'm using: GSModeSelector_v0.23x beta, phat ps2, component cables.

You mean 1080i. Is there any game that works well with it? And 1080i, that is still interlaced!
Or do you mean on ur ps3? I haven´t been able to play in 576p either, but... ohhhh wait I tried GT5 in 576p with HDTV Xploder. It is FAKE 576p. I´ll update my list. I have yet to try ps1 games. Still waiting on a PAL game from ebay so I can boot my japanese ps1 imports. I can´t play sfac either. Apparantly it doesn´t run on hd loader. Probably just ESR it, but verify first if that really does work. and sfaa/sfzg supports 480p out of the box. hold down triangle and x upon booting! I haven´t gotten mine to work yet I should rip it and patch it with esr. Then just put it in and the ESR program starts automatically. Is there a way it will automatically go through esr as well? now I have to press x every time.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv

Post by Anapan »

That's a great list - Thanks!
I haven't tried my PS2 with a HD television since I softmodded it so I haven't enjoyed any 480P stuff on it yet.
I use GSM for it's "NTSC NI to NTSC I Field" mode on a lot of games. It makes most PS2 games that upscale 240P to 480I look and play like they would over a SCART connection when using component cables to a SD CRT TV. The only game I recall having a problem with it is Sonic Mega Collection - it screws up the music and timing. That game has a very poor emulator engine anyway.

I'm running the version shown on the second picture of this thread.
I boot into the freemcboot menu, choose ulaunchelf and run gsm.elf. Then I choose the video mode I want (NTSC I field) and press Start+Left to get back to the Freemcboot menu. Then I run hdloader to play any of my backed up games with scanliney goodness.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
d123456
Next-Gen

Re: Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv

Post by d123456 »

Anapan wrote:That's a great list - Thanks!
I haven't tried my PS2 with a HD television since I softmodded it so I haven't enjoyed any 480P stuff on it yet.
I use GSM for it's "NTSC NI to NTSC I Field" mode on a lot of games. It makes most PS2 games that upscale 240P to 480I look and play like they would over a SCART connection when using component cables to a SD CRT TV. The only game I recall having a problem with it is Sonic Mega Collection - it screws up the music and timing. That game has a very poor emulator engine anyway.

I'm running the version shown on the second picture of this thread.
I boot into the freemcboot menu, choose ulaunchelf and run gsm.elf. Then I choose the video mode I want (NTSC I field) and press Start+Left to get back to the Freemcboot menu. Then I run hdloader to play any of my backed up games with scanliney goodness.

:shock:
So pleas tell me. What games benefit from it? So you are saying that gsm version of your goes from 480i to 240p? cool. I believe this is not in GSM 0.36
Which exact version do you have? the picture says v0.36r
GSModeSelector v0.23x(2010.06.30) is the last one.
Please tell me some more about this.
I downloaded all 0.23 versions I could find. no 0.23r version available....
And exactly which mode do you put it on? "NTSC I field". Do you set anything else?
I saw ntsc NI to NTSC I and then everything becomes pixalated. I think this is what you mean, right?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Optimizing PS2 games to 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv

Post by Anapan »

So pleas tell me. What games benefit from it?

Mostly everything that was originally 240P but scaled to 480i looks much nicer with scanlines rather than blurry bilinear hardware scaling imo so most arcade ports - shmups, fighters, SNK stuff all look great using GSM. Megaman compilation's scaling is crappy and so it looks worse using the "NTSC I Frame" setting. Likewise any games that are truly 640x480 would lose half of their detail in that mode tho I love the scanline look, I have played a bunch of them using that mode anyway - especially the ones that use vectors.

Basically all it's doing is taking the 480i picture and throwing away half the lines leaving only 240.

Which exact version do you have? the picture says v0.36r
GSModeSelector v0.23x(2010.06.30) is the last one.
Please tell me some more about this.
I downloaded all 0.23 versions I could find. no 0.23r version available....

I'm actually out of town working right now so I can't give any more specific details until I'm back home - the screen on my version is full of the same text, but may not be that exact version.

And exactly which mode do you put it on? "NTSC I field". Do you set anything else?

From memory I press the button that selects NTSC and PAL video modes repeatedly until it says "NTSC NI to NTSC I Field"
then I press the down arrow to activate that mode and use the analog stick to align the picture to my screen properly (I have to move it left about 7 notches and down 1 or 2 to get the picture centered) pressing down after making changes to see that the screen is centered.
Then I exit to the PS2 browser (freemcboot main menu).

I saw ntsc NI to NTSC I and then everything becomes pixalated. I think this is what you mean, right?

Yeah, that's the same mode I'm talking about. It's pixelated because there's only half the vertical resolution, tho it keeps the full horizontal resolution.
Here's a slightly blurry picture of GSM using that setting on my 1084 monitor - it works and looks the same through a PS2 SCART cable
Metal Slug!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage