Sega Saturn Mod Chip

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Fiercegaming
16-bit

Sega Saturn Mod Chip

Post by Fiercegaming »

Hello all,
I am new to the site....

I was just wondering, where can I buy Sega Saturn mod chips on this site, also what is the price. I have modding experience, hard modded and Xbox and softmodded my other one, put some nice ol' 120 GB HDs in them. Anyway, most Saturns that have circular buttons, are the ones you can mod? So you crack it open and see if the center chip has 32 pins...is that correct? thanks.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Here you go:
http://www.racketboy.com/saturn-modchip/index.htm

And yes, while round buttoned Saturns are a good place to start, you should look inside before making the commitment.

Hope that helps!
Fiercegaming
16-bit

Post by Fiercegaming »

I was just wondering, with this mod chip can you play imports? Oh, and another thing, I thought the mod chips use to be like 12-15 dollars, why have they gone up? And, is there anyone way to mod a Saturn that isn't 32 pins?
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

the chip wont play imports by itself, but you can change the game's region before burning or use an import cart, there are ways to mod non-32 pin saturns, but have a lower success rate
Yackom
32-bit

Post by Yackom »

I have a 64pin model 2, I used the A+B method and it worked great.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Fiercegaming wrote:I was just wondering, with this mod chip can you play imports? Oh, and another thing, I thought the mod chips use to be like 12-15 dollars, why have they gone up? And, is there anyone way to mod a Saturn that isn't 32 pins?

This will help with imports:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2005/01/ ... ports.html

As for the price, the chips haven't been that cheap in almost two years now. Since then, my manufacturer has double my cost twice now, so I'm paying significantly more that I used to.
Fiercegaming
16-bit

Post by Fiercegaming »

Well I just landed a Sega Saturn for 45 dollars, the cheapest one I could find, had a buy it now. Anyway, the seller doesn't have a picture of it, but he says that it's model number is MK-80000A (he said MX-80000A) but I am sure he meant MK. Anyway, would this one have the round buttons. Thanks.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Fiercegaming wrote:Well I just landed a Sega Saturn for 45 dollars, the cheapest one I could find, had a buy it now. Anyway, the seller doesn't have a picture of it, but he says that it's model number is MK-80000A (he said MX-80000A) but I am sure he meant MK. Anyway, would this one have the round buttons. Thanks.

Model numbers don't really tell us much.
In years past, there has been an initiative to try to document model numbers, but there didn't seem to be a pattern to them.
ebisumaru

Post by ebisumaru »

Im thinking about getting a mod chip. I tried the stupid swap trick and my saturn's light never "blinks", its the round buttoned one and i followed the guide to do it but i cant due to the light not blinking as it says! please help me, i really want to save my money now but i most likely will buy a mod chip anyways x_x