Discuss all hardware and software modifications
JK120

New to Sega Saturn Swap

by JK120 Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:07 pm

I have a model 2 and have set the system up to think the cd door is shut. However, I just cannot get the swap method to work. I have watched all the videos on youtube of people doing it. I can do the Playstation swap just fine, and the Saturn one looked even easier. Could it be a problem with my cd-r?

I have been using Alcohol 120 for burning. I have selected raw dao. What should I choose at the bottom for the datatype? They have a selection for burning Playstation but nothing for Saturn. Thanks.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:00 pm

first why don't you make a direct copy of a game and make sure you get your technique down. Then move onto downloaded games. It's hard to know if you have a proper disk build of it...

you can also test your disk on some SegaSaturn emulators like SSF, but just because it works there isn't a 100% guarantee it'll work on a Saturn (swap or mod chip).

As for burning, what kind of images are you getting? Most are iso's or bin files which come with cue sheets. You shouldn't have to tell it any of the information. As for the datatype, are you referring to disk format (ISO9660?) or sector size (like 2352...).

If it is the previous, it should be ISO9660, if it sector size, it varies per game and that information should be on the image or in the cue sheet. Actually all the info should really be in both unless you're doing a mix mode disk. Oh and not doing DAO, all that will cause is your audio to be out of sync in game. As all it does is put 2 second gaps between redbook audio tracks.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Espio 1919
24-bit

by Espio 1919 Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:06 pm

Usually I use Nero when I burn Saturn games; you may also want to check out sega-saturn.us (Importboy knows a lot about it), they have one of the best selections of Saturn ISO's and files. There is also some guides to show you how to correctly make a Saturn backup. Don't forget that since you're using a Model 2 Saturn, the swap trick is going to be much more difficult to perform successfully, since it requires listening to the motor rather than using the Model 1's access light.
Return to Hacks and Mods