Discuss all hardware and software modifications
dblank

Modchip issues..

by dblank Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:47 pm

I spent entirely too much time trying to get a modchip working on my Model 2 (21 / 32) Saturn over the weekend, I shaved down the sides slightly to get it to fully insert, tried A+B, connected directly to pin 14, 0019/0014/no bridge, wiggling the chip.. everything I did would lead to cdrs and originals loading as audio cds (and playing the audio fine)

Today I connected my oscilloscope to check the signals on pin 14 and the B pad just to be sure they're the same, they are, and while I had my probe connected, I restarted the Saturn, and everything booted fine! every time I have my probe connected to pin 14 (or the B pad), things will boot just fine, if I remove the probe, I get to enjoy nothing but cd audio.

Anyone have a clue as to why it boots with my scope connected?? I was pretty close to smashing things until I connected and booted with the scope, I'd love to get this working without probing now! :)

Thanks for any help!
Michael

Maybe

by Michael Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:06 pm

I cant see youre setup, but yours sounds just like when I did mine look in the tech thread for the one that says something like is this a model 2 or something like that cause I dont want to rewrite everything. If yours is like mine MAKE sure you look at the pictures with the direction of the cable being flipped and the chip turned the other way, could be the same problem..
dblank

by dblank Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:25 pm

Mine has a 32 pin chip, and the cable can only go in one way :(

I'll probably just try to mimic my oscilloscope probe by connecting a resistor and capacitor between the clock and ground, or something.. but it'd be nice to know why this makes it work!

I'm guessing it's some kinda grounding issue *shrug*
Michael

woops

by Michael Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:19 pm

Sorry about that, I missread the model version you had and only focused on the problems. I saw that it looked just like what I had run into.. I still have to chip my saturn I just got, glad I ordered another one for it. This ones a 21/32 model 2 also, but all Ive done so far is blow it out and look over everything.
dark79

by dark79 Mon May 21, 2007 11:46 pm

I have the same exact issue with my modchip. It detects all the games as music cds and plays the audio from the disc perfectly. Don't have an oscilliscope to see if I can actually get it to boot though.

Did you find a solution yet?
Fiercegaming
16-bit

by Fiercegaming Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:35 am

same issue, here, plays only audio. Anyone figure it out???
Fiercegaming
16-bit

by Fiercegaming Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:55 pm

Has anyone got it to work that has had this issue?
linlhutz

by linlhutz Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:24 am

All I can suggest is changing which 5v rail you have the power wire connected to.

If you are connected to +5v then try switching to -5v.

I just got a couple V2 chips and hooked one up to the +5v rail (second connection from the top) on a modle 2 21 pinner

The next Model 2 21 pinner I modded I connected up the same exact way but it would only play audio on burned games (didn't try any original discs). When I switched to the other polarity (Top Connection) everything booted fine.

The only difference was the first console was manufactured in July 1996 and the other (Top connection) was manufactured October 1996.
Adderall
32-bit

by Adderall Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:32 am

linlhutz wrote:All I can suggest is changing which 5v rail you have the power wire connected to.

If you are connected to +5v then try switching to -5v.

I just got a couple V2 chips and hooked one up to the +5v rail (second connection from the top) on a modle 2 21 pinner

The next Model 2 21 pinner I modded I connected up the same exact way but it would only play audio on burned games (didn't try any original discs). When I switched to the other polarity (Top Connection) everything booted fine.

The only difference was the first console was manufactured in July 1996 and the other (Top connection) was manufactured October 1996.

That's really interesting that it worked there. I'm going to remember that. Alternately, I've seen people connect here for power:

I guess you just put your wire in there and plug it back in (no soldering).
Return to Hacks and Mods