Discuss all hardware and software modifications
bacteria
Next-Gen

Re: Bacteria's project: Alpha Omega

by bacteria Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:03 pm

Thanks!

Just need to work the controller port out (5 min job) and post pics, and then make and upload the SMS video.

Will then start the next system - NES. More to do on that system probably, ie maybe region free.

Each system will be left barebone, as the idea is to finish all consoles and then make a case and cram them all into it.

After NES, probably do Intellivision; etc.
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

by bacteria Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Will upload a video tomorrow to finish the SMS2 section; here is a link to my site with the page with modding Sega Master System 2 consoles; including different pics:

http://moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com/s ... tem-2-sms/
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

by bacteria Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:17 am

First of the Alpha Omega project videos - SMS2

Hope you enjoy it!
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

by bacteria Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:06 pm

Second system: Nintendo Entertainment System - NES

Did all the below with no research, just worked the stuff out myself (more fun if you can do that).

Opened NES console, removed the board. The large silver box on the top left is the RF / AC power (yes, AC) / composite out / audio out.

As per the SNES, the AC in only gets converted into DC that then gets converted into 5v by the 7805.

Couldn't desolder the large bits that connect the silver box to the motherboard, however, these contacts are always ground, so used a small drill and carved the bits off the board! Brutal, but works. This only left five contacts that were easy to desolder.

The game cart port worked occasionally, so needed to bend the pins back a little so the game cart slotted in better, used a needle for this. The small board is the game cart board, which only takes about 25% of the space inside the cart. Nintendo made it this large so it could be loaded like a VHS tape in the day.

Spent about an hour and a bit getting the shilding off the small board in the silver box, removed the RF modulator box too, just have a couple of capacitors to relocate, and remove that large capacitor and replace with a smaller one.

Used a little sticky tape to get the game cart roughly level; powered system - all fine so far.

Some of the board can be trimmed but nothing major, probably 10-15%, the expansion port can go, capacitors relocated, mod the cart port to then be extended with wires.
I am the Bacman
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm just wondering how on earth you're going to be able to put it in a case with 11 cartridge slots and make it look at all presentable.
bacteria
Next-Gen

by bacteria Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:00 pm

Watch this space, it will happen!
I am the Bacman
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:11 pm

I really can't wait to see!

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
bacteria
Next-Gen

by bacteria Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:36 pm

I looked at the empty NES console casing earlier and thought to myself that if I were only incorporating about 4 or 5 consoles into a system, i'd probably have used that. That's why i'm thinking of frankencasing an Intellivision console as it is wider - might get two consoles side by side in layers, maybe - time will tell if it fits. It not, i'll look at "fake console designs" on YouTube for nice case ideas, and make one of the designs for real - futuristic design.
I am the Bacman
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Long as you don't get that fire retard SNES plastic. I have a desk fan made outta the same stuff, slowly melting away. :shock:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:26 pm

AppleQueso wrote:I'm just wondering how on earth you're going to be able to put it in a case with 11 cartridge slots and make it look at all presentable.

He could use a sliding lid, like the Master System 2 has, to hide the cart slots.
Return to Hacks and Mods