Discuss all hardware and software modifications
metaleggman
128-bit

Sega Saturn battery question

by metaleggman Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:42 am

I was wondering if there was a way to connect the battery socket to the power supply on the sega saturn, like how the mod chip uses something from one of the extra pins on the psu. Or is this impossible, with the only long term solution being LoD's method?

thanks in advance!
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:57 am

First off my mod is actually sending the power directly to the battery port. Just I put a rechargeable battery in between the connection as a place holder when off.

It is certainly possible to only send the power line to it with no battery. But it will only power the battery port while the saturn is on.

If you wanted something that fed constant power even when it was off would be build a second PSU that converted the 110v input from the wall into a 3v low wattage feed that had no power switch. This would then keep you saves intact even when the system was off. BUT it would eat up juice constantly, and PSUs aren't the easiest things to build. Especially efficient ones that don't tax your electric bill and won't start fires.

Your next option is to go around the power switch on the already existing PSU. Making it that the pin you need ALWAYS has power, and the others only get power when you hit the power switch. So your system will technically be off gaming wise, but the some of the hardware still is being powered. Though a lot of electricity will still be wasted and again isn't very safe. That and it probably will reduce the life of your saturn.

Your best bet (and cheaper) is a rechargeable battery that charges while the system is on (like my mod). Make sure to turn your system on intermittently though as the battery does die. And also the first initial charge is like a portable phone where you have to leave the system on for like 12 hours.

----
I really would advise avoiding any modification of the PSU. PSU's aren't the funnest place to hang around... the smallest mistake can cause massive damage and safety hazards. You no longer are dealing with little 5v and 12v feeds. You're dealing directly with 110v of electricity that even at low wattage pumps tons of amps out into the rest of your system and maybe even you.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
metaleggman
128-bit

by metaleggman Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:24 pm

Oh, I see. Lol, I forgot that the PSU on the saturn wasn't on all the time. N'k. Thanks!
Return to Hacks and Mods