Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Nishnabotna
8-bit

KVM switch for DC

by Nishnabotna Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:03 pm

So I ordered a VGA box from Racketboy and I plan to use a KVM switch to switch between my PC and the DC on my monitor here. That got me to thinking: sure, it'll be easy enough to play a shump or scroller, but what if I want to play Typing of the Dead? I don't want to have to haul out the DC keyboard and mouse. Much easier if the KVM switch would control everything. Has anyone seen or made an adapter that would enable a person to attach a PC keyboard and mouse to their DC?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:09 pm

Well, you can get two of these adaptors:

http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/cat ... p-126.html

There may be some USA sellers who have these. Jandaman used to. I should have grabbed one. Dreamcast's official mouse sucks hard, and I would really like to use a good optical mouse on it, with a USB-to-PS/2 adapter attached.

Also be warned that you lose quality every single time you split a VGA signal. Even the best switches lose some picture quality. I've never seen a cheap model ($40 or less) which didn't look absolutely nasty on screen.
Nishnabotna
8-bit

by Nishnabotna Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:19 pm

That's the ticket. Too bad that the dollar sucks so bad right now :(
I use a Linksys KVM that works OK. Or maybe you just have higher standards than I do :p
Nishnabotna
8-bit

by Nishnabotna Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:21 pm

They've got a keyboard adapter that's almost half as much...

http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/cat ... p-149.html
metaleggman
128-bit

by metaleggman Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:29 pm

Mozgus wrote:Also be warned that you lose quality every single time you split a VGA signal. Even the best switches lose some picture quality. I've never seen a cheap model ($40 or less) which didn't look absolutely nasty on screen.
Well, but with a switch with a really nice ADC and DAC, it would still look nice. Just, you'll have to play in the multi-hundreds region for something like that tho, and I doubt something like that would exist >.<
Mozgus
Next-Gen

by Mozgus Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:12 am

metaleggman wrote:
Mozgus wrote:Also be warned that you lose quality every single time you split a VGA signal. Even the best switches lose some picture quality. I've never seen a cheap model ($40 or less) which didn't look absolutely nasty on screen.
Well, but with a switch with a really nice ADC and DAC, it would still look nice. Just, you'll have to play in the multi-hundreds region for something like that tho, and I doubt something like that would exist >.<

Exactly why I didn't mention it.
Return to Hacks and Mods