Discuss all hardware and software modifications
hailrazer
32-bit

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by hailrazer Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:Just so I understand completely, you're saying to rip off both the green ribbon attached to the back of the PCB (marked CN207 ) and also completely remove the copper colored ribbon cable? What about the small white wire that leads from it to the point marked C239? remove that as well?

There is a green tape. That covers and helps to hold down the brownish/green Lcd ribbon cable. Cut the green tape where it meets the pcb board. Then unhook the double gray wire with white connector. That is the backlight inverter power wire for the lcd. Then pull the lcd backwards over the pcb which will detach the lcd ribbon wires completely detaching the lcd from the pcb.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
Hateshinai
128-bit

by Hateshinai Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:46 am

What is the maximum thickness allowed for the replacement screen & board?
Mostly harmless
hailrazer
32-bit

by hailrazer Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:27 pm

Hateshinai wrote:What is the maximum thickness allowed for the replacement screen & board?

3/8"
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
TheWes

by TheWes Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:27 am

Hello HailRaizer,

I am going to be doing the battery mod in a few days, and I just had some questions if you have the time. When I take the battery charger apart, do I want to remove the circuit board, or do I need to leave it all hooked up? Also, with the rigged charger, will the battery know when to stop charging, or will I have to keep an eye on it?

Thanks!
hailrazer
32-bit

by hailrazer Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:53 am

TheWes wrote:Hello HailRaizer,

I am going to be doing the battery mod in a few days, and I just had some questions if you have the time. When I take the battery charger apart, do I want to remove the circuit board, or do I need to leave it all hooked up? Also, with the rigged charger, will the battery know when to stop charging, or will I have to keep an eye on it?

Thanks!

Follow the instructions. :)

As shown you will only have the new battery in the Nomad battery case. The new charger will charge the new battery and turn off when done.
My Portable Systems:
TheWes

by TheWes Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:26 am

Actually, I was referring to the battery charger, not the Nomad battery pack. Do I take everything out of that and just solder the wires in, or does it need the circuit board to know when to stop charging?
hailrazer
32-bit

by hailrazer Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:46 am

TheWes wrote:Actually, I was referring to the battery charger, not the Nomad battery pack. Do I take everything out of that and just solder the wires in, or does it need the circuit board to know when to stop charging?

I have no idea what you mean. What battery charger? You use the battery charger that comes with the new battery. You will be running a positive and negative wire from that charger and hooking it to a M male power adapter. Then in the Nomad battery case you will put the new battery and run a positive and negative wire to a M female power adapter.

I have no idea what "circuit board" you are talking about.
My Portable Systems:
TheWes

by TheWes Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Sorry if I am a little green when it comes to electronics. :D It is my impression that I will be opening up the battery charger that came with the battery, and soldering in wires that will be connected to the male type-m connector. I was looking at the pictures that one of the other guys posted, and it looked like there was a circuit board inside the charger. I was wondering what to do with that.

Thanks!
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:34 pm

TheWes wrote:Sorry if I am a little green when it comes to electronics. :D It is my impression that I will be opening up the battery charger that came with the battery, and soldering in wires that will be connected to the male type-m connector. I was looking at the pictures that one of the other guys posted, and it looked like there was a circuit board inside the charger. I was wondering what to do with that.

Thanks!

If you mean mine, yes you leave the board in the charger. It's a little hard to see since it was all black, but I soldered to the silver bits on the left where the + and - went. I was talking about pulling the board out of the charger so I had somewhere to solder on the bottom of the board or to solder directly to the spots where the red and black wires were.
TheWes

by TheWes Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:03 pm

Hello, can someone help me out? I am trying to do the battery mod, and I cannot get the battery charger apart. I have pryed and pryed, but it will not come apart. I believe I have broken it.
Return to Hacks and Mods