Discuss all hardware and software modifications
hailrazer
32-bit

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by hailrazer Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Nice job :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
jfe2
Next-Gen

by jfe2 Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:53 am

Hobie, that is nice work! I'm going to have to try this out if I get a chance here soon.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:17 pm

hailrazer wrote:Nice job :)

Nice Job indeed Hobie! 8)
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

by Satoshi_Matrix Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:16 pm

Okay so my LCD arrived today. I bought this one

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mini-3-5-Inch-Car-TF ... 7790099398

url is huge but yeah, its the same one hailrazer has.

I want to test it out to make sure it works, but I can't figure the bugger out. It came with a power supply that's got a plug, but the other end is just two wires.

I want to test it out on various game consoles. What ac adapter do I need? The descption says 12v DC, but what about polarity? - C + or should I use + C - 12v DC? I don't want to damage it by feeding it the wrong polarity.

Does it absolutely need 12v? I have a few 9v's laying around. Any system it won't work on? Thanks for any help.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:I want to test it out on various game consoles. What ac adapter do I need? The descption says 12v DC, but what about polarity? - C + or should I use + C - 12v DC? I don't want to damage it by feeding it the wrong polarity.

Does it absolutely need 12v? I have a few 9v's laying around. Any system it won't work on? Thanks for any help.

Does the back of the unit not have the usual block showing the polarity? Once you figure that out, trying 9 volts probably won't hurt it. It will probably just work or not.
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

by Satoshi_Matrix Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:30 pm

I got it working with 12v positive center. Seems to work fairly well!

Two questions

Is there a screen protector on these? I wonder about scratches and such occurring over time.

What is the white RCA jack for? This thing doesn't have any speaker, so it can't be for mono sound, and there's no buttons whatsoever for multiple video inputs.
hailrazer
32-bit

by hailrazer Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:56 pm

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:
What is the white RCA jack for? This thing doesn't have any speaker, so it can't be for mono sound, and there's no buttons whatsoever for multiple video inputs.

It's the second video input.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

by Satoshi_Matrix Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 pm

hellrazer, I need some additional help with the mod. I've got my Nomad apart now and would like to know exactly how to remove the old LCD.

On the back of the controller PCB of the Nomad is a white ribbon cable that's easy enough to disconnect, but what about the other green ribbon cable that's attched to the PCB itself? Do I simply forcibly tear that off? what about the copper ribbon cable?

I can post a pic if it helps.
hailrazer
32-bit

by hailrazer Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:hellrazer, I need some additional help with the mod. I've got my Nomad apart now and would like to know exactly how to remove the old LCD.

On the back of the controller PCB of the Nomad is a white ribbon cable that's easy enough to disconnect, but what about the other green ribbon cable that's attched to the PCB itself? Do I simply forcibly tear that off? what about the copper ribbon cable?

I can post a pic if it helps.

The green is just tape, cut through that with a razor. Then pull the copper ribbon cable backwards. It will peel off easily.
My Portable Systems:
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

by Satoshi_Matrix Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:35 pm

Just so I understand completely, you're saying to rip off both the green ribbon attached to the back of the PCB (marked CN207 ) and also completely remove the copper colored ribbon cable? What about the small white wire that leads from it to the point marked C239? remove that as well?
Return to Hacks and Mods