Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

Post by Jmustang1968 »

hailrazer wrote:Yes . I found one that fit's the space good. It runs as low as 5v and it has good color,contrast,clarity.

It has the 3 buttons on the back, but I just clip them off with a pair of clippers so they are flush but can still be pushed if needed.

I also use the built in wire so I don't have to solder any wires to the lcd board, just 3 wires to the Nomad. Power , ground, composite.

This is it :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221145560912?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D221145560912%26_rdc%3D1

Hmm this looks just like the ones I get off amazon.
hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

As I have mentioned time and time again, looks don't mean a thing.

I have bought several of the exact same looking Lcd's from different sellers and they were ALL different on the inside.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

hailrazer wrote:As I have mentioned time and time again, looks don't mean a thing.

I have bought several of the exact same looking Lcd's from different sellers and they were ALL different on the inside.

Well, I mean as in it has the 3 plugs and the power wire with the fuse. I know all too well looks dont mean much.

But the amazon seller I have been using has been a good lcd so far, so I am wondering if these are the same source.
m68k_inside

Post by m68k_inside »

I bought a nomad for $40 but it didn't come with a battery pack which i don't really want to pay another $30 for. So i was thinking of getting some a few batteries(np-fXX0 equivalent) and and a couple of chargers. Then take the battery plate off a charger(since the cheap chargers are a universal design with a slide over plate) solder it up to the battery contacts and then glue the charger plate on the back of the nomad.
Then(depending on how strong the adhesive is.) you could use high capacity batteries(with a bit more bulk) and easily(also inexpensively) swap out batteries.

ebay item 180849528844 do you think this would be a good screen or should i just buy a backup monitor and rip it apart.?
seanami
24-bit

Post by seanami »

Is there a good screen that minimizes/doesn't have the av input flash on in the upper right corner?
hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

Not that I know of.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

Electricview wrote:
compil3r wrote:Hello all! :D

I'm about to buy this LCD, someone knows if it will work for this mod?

3.5" inch TFT LCD Car Rear View Digital Monitor DVD VCR 2CHs Video Gadgets
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251169677062?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619
$23.44

Thanks!! :mrgreen:

I bought this exact one, but I ran into a wierd burn in/ghosting problem where certain images would remain 'ghosted' into the image, if you you look at my older post with pictures you can see what I mean.. i left the sonic the hedgehog demo running for about 2 minutes and when it flashes to the white 'SEGA' screen, you can still see the 'score' and 'time' burned into the screen at the top left.. I believe this is a temporary effect, but it can be a little annoying at times, otherwise i really liked this screen, it was good contrast, good speed, good colors... but that 'temporary burn in' annoyed me.

Confirmed that this screen has "burn in" issues.
Also it won't run at less than 7.4v, so the rechargeable battery pak mod won't work properly with this screen. It will shut off to soon.
My Portable Systems:
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Just finished a screen for Sevin. The screen was different again and actually had brightness and contrast adjustments. The buttons were tall and stuck out the back of the case, so I had to clip them off, but they're still functional. One thing that was really nice is that the input was a plug and I had one in my pile O crap. So since the screen is hot glued in, you can unplug it if you're having to work on anything else in the Nomad. I also only attached one ground for the power and video since those 2 points are on the common ground and connected in the Nomad and the screen just uses one anyway. So that's one less wire to solder and stuff inside.

Screen and screen sub board mounted in the case.

Some random shielding that came out of something else with holes to fit over the screw and dpad rubber post to hold it in place non-permanently.

Screen plugged in and top board in.

Pardon the reflections.

Didn't notice any picture oddities in testing before I started tearing things down or now it's done. Hopefully it will stay that way. :)
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Hobie-wan wrote:Just finished a screen for Sevin..

looks really good! Thanks Hobie. :D
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

Really nice work Hobie! I might try this on my Nomad once I dig it out of storage.