Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Electricview
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:05 am

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by Electricview Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:03 am

Hey guys my screen came from ebay finally.. I'm happy to report it DOES indeed work!

Some good and some bad though. 1. It's QUICK to turn on, about a half second after i flict the switch the screen is on and going nearly as fast as the stock screen.. right on!!! (wanted that!) and 2. there's NO A/V in the top right corner or anything like that to detract from the game at all. Mega score there!!!

But for the bad.. My screen has a REALLY REALLY bad problem with ghosting/Temporary burn in.. I'm not sure how else to describe this, but i had it running for about 2-3 minute and on certain screens you could see the SCORE and numbers in the top left screen when you weren't even on that screen... You can even see it in some of my videos.. This seems to reset when i turn it off for a minute but if i'm playing, images seem to burn in quickly, I know its not ACTUALLY burning in, but why is this stuff 'ghosting' behind the image on the screen for so long?? Just a super super super cheap screen? I'm not sure if i want to install it permenantly or just keep trying others untill I find one that doesnt have this effect..
OR is this totally normal and expected of these screens?

I'll post a picture and video of my hook up test (I used the AV cable i haven't soldered anything together yet was just testing it when i saw this wierd problem). The squarish outline on the top right is the 'peel here' tab I haven't taken off the plastic wrap off the screen yet, just FYI.. (the SCORE and numbers are in the top LEFT).
Pictures of the screen too in case anyone else is curious of its info.


Image

Image
Image

Image

Image

Video of it running. If you run it at 720p on the very first 'white screen' a few seconds in you can see in the 'burned in score' effect i'm talking about.. anything lower res its much harder to see..

http://youtu.be/Cxdt6bstYRE
showman
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by showman Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:27 pm

showman wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:Well, I bought 1 nomad screen from the linked ebay seller and it worked well.

I then bought 2 more and they were slightly different. It seems they wont display 240p and try to instead display 480i. This causes the screens to be in black & white and with vertical lines :(

I am going to try some screens from amazon now... Seems to be hit or miss with these.


The same problem here, i bought the screen that was linked and the screen is black and white and shut down in few seconds. Have a way to make this work without need buy another screen? If i need buy another screen what is the better?


A stranger thing happen. The withe wire pull of the connector but the video still working. How is can be working if the withe wire is for video? Anyone could tell me ?
User avatar
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6502
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by Jmustang1968 Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:20 pm

showman wrote:
showman wrote:
The same problem here, i bought the screen that was linked and the screen is black and white and shut down in few seconds. Have a way to make this work without need buy another screen? If i need buy another screen what is the better?


A stranger thing happen. The withe wire pull of the connector but the video still working. How is can be working if the withe wire is for video? Anyone could tell me ?


The yellow and white are both video inputs. The white doesnt need to be wired to anything if the yellow is wired to video out on the nomad.
User avatar
laevateinn
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:17 pm

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by laevateinn Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:26 pm

Hi guys. I recently completed this mod and I love it. I have one problem though, when I am using NiMH batteries, the screen will flicker on and off. If I use alkaline or the AC adapter, I never have any problems. Could this be due to the lower voltage or could it be a problem with having cheaper NiMH cells?

The reason I ask is I would like to do the battery pack mod as well and I'm not sure if it would be worth it since the recommended battery is only 7.4V.
User avatar
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6502
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by Jmustang1968 Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:10 pm

laevateinn wrote:Hi guys. I recently completed this mod and I love it. I have one problem though, when I am using NiMH batteries, the screen will flicker on and off. If I use alkaline or the AC adapter, I never have any problems. Could this be due to the lower voltage or could it be a problem with having cheaper NiMH cells?

The reason I ask is I would like to do the battery pack mod as well and I'm not sure if it would be worth it since the recommended battery is only 7.4V.


I have no issue with flickering with battery pack mod...

What seller did you buy the screen from?
User avatar
laevateinn
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:17 pm

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by laevateinn Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:55 pm

I got mine from goodlucksell. I just fully recharged my NiMH batteries and was able to play for about 5 minutes before it started flickering. I played with alkaline last night for a half hour with no problems and have played for hours with no issues plugged in.
User avatar
hailrazer
32-bit
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:38 pm

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by hailrazer Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Are you using the official rechargeable battery Pak?

If so they don't last long before they stop recharging.
My Portable Systems:
Image
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
User avatar
laevateinn
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:17 pm

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by laevateinn Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 pm

I don't have a powerback. I'm using the battery holder with rechargeable and regular batteries you can get at the store.
Electricview
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:05 am

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by Electricview Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:39 pm

I got another 2 screens off ebay, different types I thought but they came in the EXACT same box (the frames were different). Their quality was... Not as good as the first funnily enough, they were very over sharpened and too contrasty.. Not to mention but when using the video out of the nomad both of them would double or triple a line about 1/3rd the way from the bottom of the screen, it wasn't a HUGE deal but an annoyance and you could see the graphical 'glitch' all teh way across.. It didnt seem to do this when i hooked up my ps2 to it... I dont like either of these 2, and kind of unhappy with the 'temp burn in' i get with the first screen.. .So i'm still looking for a screen i'm happy with..
User avatar
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6502
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

by Jmustang1968 Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:21 am

Electricview wrote:I got another 2 screens off ebay, different types I thought but they came in the EXACT same box (the frames were different). Their quality was... Not as good as the first funnily enough, they were very over sharpened and too contrasty.. Not to mention but when using the video out of the nomad both of them would double or triple a line about 1/3rd the way from the bottom of the screen, it wasn't a HUGE deal but an annoyance and you could see the graphical 'glitch' all teh way across.. It didnt seem to do this when i hooked up my ps2 to it... I dont like either of these 2, and kind of unhappy with the 'temp burn in' i get with the first screen.. .So i'm still looking for a screen i'm happy with..


This is the recent screen I received as well. Near the bottom there is some distortion at times, but otherwise not too bad.
Return to Hacks and Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests