Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Re: Nomad --- New screen and better battery pack.

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

Alright. I pm'd hailrazer and he said they're all about the same. Still, I dont want to be left with a screen I can't use. Could someone please recommend a screen on ebay? I see them for as little as $20, so paying $50 isn't so appealing.
hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:Alright. I pm'd hailrazer and he said they're all about the same. Still, I dont want to be left with a screen I can't use. Could someone please recommend a screen on ebay? I see them for as little as $20, so paying $50 isn't so appealing.

I have used about 7 of the most common Ebay screens. They are all basically the same and will work fine.

Heres a review I did of the three most common :

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35263
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

This is a great help. From the looks of it, #2 is the one to go with, but in your tutorial you went with #1.

Because of your tutorial and low price, I think I'm going to go with this one unless theres a reason I shouldn't.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0537154922

Since I won't have the benefit of lining up several screens in a row, how does #2 compare with the original Nomad screen in terms of brightness, color depth, viewing angle, etc? Also, the original Nomad LCD had a resolution of 320 x 224, but all the ones now are 960x468. Does this effect anything?

Lastly, without hacking it to run off the nomad, how do you power it? Some of the sellers show everything ti comes with, and the power cable looks in most cases to plug into the red RCA socket, and are simply loose wires on the other end. What's up with that? Can you use a regular AC adapter at 9v? What polarity is needed?

thanks.
hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:This is a great help. From the looks of it, #2 is the one to go with, but in your tutorial you went with #1.

Because of your tutorial and low price, I think I'm going to go with this one unless theres a reason I shouldn't.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0537154922

Since I won't have the benefit of lining up several screens in a row, how does #2 compare with the original Nomad screen in terms of brightness, color depth, viewing angle, etc? Also, the original Nomad LCD had a resolution of 320 x 224, but all the ones now are 960x468. Does this effect anything?

Lastly, without hacking it to run off the nomad, how do you power it? Some of the sellers show everything ti comes with, and the power cable looks in most cases to plug into the red RCA socket, and are simply loose wires on the other end. What's up with that? Can you use a regular AC adapter at 9v? What polarity is needed?

thanks.

The difference between the three screens I reviewed are negligible. The average person would not notice a difference. The resolution makes no difference once connected to the video out that we use.

When you get the screen it will usually come with a power plug. If not most of these screens will run with 5v-12v adapters, center pin positive.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

anyone have any tips to get at that middle security screw of the Nomad? I have a screwbit for it, but it won't fit that far down, and the whole is too narrow for pens.
hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:anyone have any tips to get at that middle security screw of the Nomad? I have a screwbit for it, but it won't fit that far down, and the whole is too narrow for pens.

$2 on Ebay for the proper bit. Other than that you can do what most people do and remove all the other screws and then just pull up hard while twisting slightly and the plastic will break off around the screw head inside the Nomad where it is not visible.
My Portable Systems:
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

I got it. I already have a proper screwbit for it, but it just wouldn't fit. I had to file some of the extra plastic away using a knife to enlarge the hole slightly.
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

Alright, I ordered two screens. Once for the Nomad and another for another future project.

hailrazer, I've heard some things about the Yobo FC-16 Go, the portable SNES clone that seems to be the long lost brother to the Nomad. Do you happen to have one of these? I've heard the screen is slightly blurry. If I buy a FC-16 Go, can I replace the screen with the same one I've using for the Nomad (the screen you used in your tutorial for the Nomad here in this thread)? Also I'm wondering about general incompatibility. I wonder if it works with Retrozone's Super Powerpak?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I have the FC-16, and replacing the screen on that one is much more difficult. It's a very thin shell (approximately the same size as the DS's upper lid) and I can't see a good way to get it open without damaging anything, to say nothing of reclosing it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
hailrazer
32-bit

Post by hailrazer »

I have a thread on the BenHeck forums on taking apart the Fc16go. Its not that hard but replacing the screen is not an option. First you wont find a replacement screen thin enough. Second the Fc16go runs on 3.7v and no replacement screen will run that low.
My Portable Systems: