Discuss all hardware and software modifications
retrogamer
 

The Poor Man's Sega Treamcast Mod

by retrogamer Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:43 pm

I don't know why but I had this sudden urge to go to K-Mart today to browse around. I don't know if it was fate or what, but I found deep in the back of the display case a brand new factory sealed PSONE (official Sony no less) LCD screen with a final clearance price of $9.00. There were so many price stickers on it from being marked down so many times it looked like someone went crazy with the price gun. It was the only one left otherwise I would have grabbed them all to sell on Ebay. I had the idea to convert my Dreamcast into a Treamcast clone with it. I have a spare PSONE motherboard (for the purpose of using the video input connector from it), and a VGA box so I want to see if it possible to get the LCD screen to output a S-VHS signal since certain models of that screen are capable of S-VID input. So far I did a quick assembly of what I want it to look like and I have NesterDC SE running on it to demonstrate that the screen is connected to the DC. I just need to come up with some kind of adapter to hook the two together since I don't want to butcher up my Dreamcast or LCD screen. If I can't do the S-Vid mod then I will eliminate the vga box from the final design and make a small A/V cable to hook the two consoles up together which will be hidden inside the adapter kind of similar to how the two screens are connected on a Nintendo DS where you have the ribbon cable hidden within the hinge assembly.
If anyone is interested in this project please let me know and I will keep updating this post along the way to show each stage of my progress. The VGA boxes that Racketboy sells may be the ideal box to use since the board in my HAIS brand VGA box is a bit on the bulky side. Sorry the picture is so dark but it was the only way I could photograph the image on the LCD screen.Image
Last edited by retrogamer on Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Mozgus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 10:31 pm

by Mozgus Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:56 pm

$9....I.....I hate you.
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9454
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

by racketboy Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:29 pm

Mozgus wrote:$9....I.....I hate you.


LOL -- that IS and incredible deal!

I'd love to see some detailed instructions -- would make a great tutorial on the site :)
retrogamer
 

by retrogamer Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:51 pm

Mozgus wrote:$9....I.....I hate you.



I think the kid who rang me up at the cash register was not to fond of me either when he saw what it rang up at. Check your local K-Marts because those prices are pretty much set store wide. You never know what you might find in those display cases since K-mart does not sell very many games as opposed to a store like Walmart does so things tend to sit in inventory for awhile. Check the K-Mart thread on the CAG site and you can read about all of the deals they have.

Mozgus did you get my email the other day about the advice I was looking for? Also I miss your old avatar...
User avatar
Mozgus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 10:31 pm

by Mozgus Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:56 pm

retrogamer wrote:Mozgus did you get my email the other day about the advice I was looking for? Also I miss your old avatar...

Nope. You emailed me at mozgus at gmail dot com? What did you need?

And why do you miss the old conehead guy? lol
retrogamer
 

by retrogamer Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:19 pm

Mozgus wrote:
retrogamer wrote:Mozgus did you get my email the other day about the advice I was looking for? Also I miss your old avatar...

Nope. You emailed me at mozgus at gmail dot com? What did you need?

And why do you miss the old conehead guy? lol



The conehead guy kind of looks like my next door neighbor. It was a nice avatar. I had a question about giving out invites to UG-gamer since I have 10 of them I would like to give out. Only thing that worries me is if a newbie to torrents uses one of my invites and gets banned from the site due to low ratio, or some other infraction could that cause me to lose my account too because I was the one who issued the invite?
User avatar
Mozgus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 10:31 pm

by Mozgus Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:33 pm

retrogamer wrote:The conehead guy kind of looks like my next door neighbor. It was a nice avatar. I had a question about giving out invites to UG-gamer since I have 10 of them I would like to give out. Only thing that worries me is if a newbie to torrents uses one of my invites and gets banned from the site due to low ratio, or some other infraction could that cause me to lose my account too because I was the one who issued the invite?

I dont think their system is that well thought out, but you should ask on their forums. I wouldn't have any idea.
User avatar
metaleggman
128-bit
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:21 pm

by metaleggman Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:38 pm

retrogamer wrote:
Mozgus wrote:
retrogamer wrote:Mozgus did you get my email the other day about the advice I was looking for? Also I miss your old avatar...

Nope. You emailed me at mozgus at gmail dot com? What did you need?

And why do you miss the old conehead guy? lol



The conehead guy kind of looks like my next door neighbor. It was a nice avatar. I had a question about giving out invites to UG-gamer since I have 10 of them I would like to give out. Only thing that worries me is if a newbie to torrents uses one of my invites and gets banned from the site due to low ratio, or some other infraction could that cause me to lose my account too because I was the one who issued the invite?
I would just give to people you know are safe, just in case.
Image
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9454
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

by racketboy Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:59 pm

retrogamer wrote:
Mozgus wrote:
retrogamer wrote:Mozgus did you get my email the other day about the advice I was looking for? Also I miss your old avatar...

Nope. You emailed me at mozgus at gmail dot com? What did you need?

And why do you miss the old conehead guy? lol



The conehead guy kind of looks like my next door neighbor. It was a nice avatar. I had a question about giving out invites to UG-gamer since I have 10 of them I would like to give out. Only thing that worries me is if a newbie to torrents uses one of my invites and gets banned from the site due to low ratio, or some other infraction could that cause me to lose my account too because I was the one who issued the invite?


It won't hurt your ratio.
You ratio is purely based on your personal UL and DL.
retrogamer
 

by retrogamer Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:30 pm

I know it won't affect my ratio. My main concern was myself getting banned because the person I gave the invite to got themselves banned.
Return to Hacks and Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests