Discuss all hardware and software modifications
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12323
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Zig's SNES Repros

by Ziggy587 Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Those links you've provided are for the patches only, you need the ROM to apply the patch to.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/19/

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/395/

One is called "SMW2+" and the other is called "SMW2+2". They are both by the same author. 2+ is the first hack he did, 2+2 is the second hack he did. You can click to read the readme file to learn more about them.

Could they be put on a cart? The short answer is yes. The only thing to worry about would be if the hack created any bugs that would have problems while playing on real hardware. It might run fine on emulators, but there might be bugs that can cause the game to freeze (among other things) on real hardware. This is true for any hack or translation.
Image
Arseen
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Zig's SNES Repros

by Arseen Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Those links you've provided are for the patches only, you need the ROM to apply the patch to.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/19/

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/395/

One is called "SMW2+" and the other is called "SMW2+2". They are both by the same author. 2+ is the first hack he did, 2+2 is the second hack he did. You can click to read the readme file to learn more about them.

Could they be put on a cart? The short answer is yes. The only thing to worry about would be if the hack created any bugs that would have problems while playing on real hardware. It might run fine on emulators, but there might be bugs that can cause the game to freeze (among other things) on real hardware. This is true for any hack or translation.


I have watched the SMW 2+2 on Youtube.
Anyway, any chance that you could make cart versions of these?
I have no skill nor equipment top do it myself.
Pretty please and thank you. :D
If yes, how much would it cost, about.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12323
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Zig's SNES Repros

by Ziggy587 Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:31 pm

I could, but I wouldn't be able to get to making it for some time.

I would suggest putting both hacks on one cart, as to use less donor carts.
Image
Arseen
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Zig's SNES Repros

by Arseen Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I could, but I wouldn't be able to get to making it for some time.

I would suggest putting both hacks on one cart, as to use less donor carts.


Better late than never, as Gameproductions.com said these would be impossible to create, but i wanted second opinion. :D

Well tell me when/if you are sure that these would work.

And I'd prefer separate carts, so my collection looks bigger AND I HATE MULTICARTS.
Besides how can you use the save function if you have two separate games on one cart?

BTW here are somewhat messy pictures of my collection, out of date. Will try update it soonish:
http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/i ... pic=2738.0

Thank you.
Ronnie
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12323
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Zig's SNES Repros

by Ziggy587 Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:36 pm

Hmm, haven't really posted much in this thread lately. Yes, I'm still tinkering with SNES carts. I've hinted many times to something I've been working on, regarding SNES carts. I think I'll be announcing that project (hopefully) soon. Anyways, here's a few other things I've been doing lately...

Sevin wanted me to put Star Fox 2 on his Yoshi's Island cart. YI doesn't have enough SRAM for Star Fox 2. I didn't know until recently that GSU games actually use SRAM for some kind of buffer. Isn't it neat how the InTeRnEt is full of misinformation? Anyways, Sev talked me into installing a larger SRAM on his YI cart. So I did... successfully.

Image

^That's 1Mb of SRAM on a Yoshi's Island cart.

And below, I leave this picture to those that know what they're looking at. :D

Image




Oh, and by the way, this stuff is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQqjggeklo I got some off eBay and used it today. It's really amazing. Here's a video of some one using it on an N64 lol : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kyaz4Zrd78 The video is awesome because of the music he has playing. I feel like I'm watching How It's made. LOL

Arseen wrote:Well tell me when/if you are sure that these would work.


Well here's the deal: I am sure that those ROMs could be put on a cart. What I can't be sure of is if those ROM hacks have any bugs that will cause problems on real hardware. Don't forget, a ROM hack might work perfectly fine in an emulator, that doesn't mean there isn't a fatal bug on real hardware. Since the game uses the GSU-2 chip, it will be impossible to test on a flash cart prior to putting it on a cart. So there's only one way to find out, and that's that. I'll never be sure until it's actually put on the cart, and even then, I don't have the time to sit and play test every inch of the game.

Arseen wrote:Besides how can you use the save function if you have two separate games on one cart?


That's actually quite possible. I recently saw some one do this very thing, they put two games on one cart, installed a larger SRAM, and had a toggle to select each half of the SRAM (one half for one game, the other for the other). Not that I know exactly how he did it, but I know that it can be done.
Last edited by Ziggy587 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22727
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Zig's SNES Repros

by MrPopo Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:19 pm

Well here's the deal: I am sure that those ROMs could be put on a cart. What I can't be sure of is if those ROM hacks have any bugs that will cause problems on real hardware. Don't forget, a ROM hack might work perfectly fine in an emulator, that doesn't mean there isn't a fatal bug on real hardware.

This is a very important point. Bahamut Lagoon, for example, has two different patches; one for emulators, one for copiers. If you use the one for emulators then you'll get lots of glitches and the game is unplayable.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
sevin0seven
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8938
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Zig's SNES Repros

by sevin0seven Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Sevin wanted me to put Star Fox 2 on his Yoshi's Island cart. YI doesn't have enough SRAM for Star Fox 2. I didn't know until recently that GSU games actually use SRAM for some kind of buffer. Isn't it neat how the InTeRnEt is full of misinformation? Anyways, Sev talked me into installing a larger SRAM on his YI cart. So I did... successfully.


8)
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
User avatar
bartre
24-bit
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Zig's SNES Repros

by bartre Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:And below, I leave this picture to those that know what they're looking at. :D

Image

The two wires that run from the EEPROM to the second mask ROM are to correct the two solder pads that I broke, they have nothing to do with the mod.


hmm, it's got the sdd-1 chip, so it's got to either be star ocean or street fighter alpha 2.
and the u1 rom has been changed, but that's not an eprom, did you swap the chips between games for some reason, or am i way off base?
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12323
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Zig's SNES Repros

by Ziggy587 Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:12 pm

Well you're right, there's only two games that use the S-DD1. But SFA2 only has 1 mask ROM, and no SRAM/battery, so it must be Star Ocean. Yes, the first mask ROM has been changed, and it is not an EPROM. It's an EEPROM. It's 3.3v though, so I had to step the voltage down.
Image
User avatar
bartre
24-bit
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Zig's SNES Repros

by bartre Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:53 am

so does that mean that you found an easier way to do the english translation of star ocean?
Return to Hacks and Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests