Zig's SNES Repros

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
DaPerv
8-bit

Re: Zig's SNES Repros

Post by DaPerv »

if you want a good label for starfox 2, i got one you can use.
Check Out my SNES review site at: http://www.thesnesdudes.blogspot.com
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ziggy587 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Is there a (cheap/easy) way to do this for GBA carts?

I no nothing of GBA repro carts. I would imagine it to be just next to impossible though due to the size of them. However, if you find some info on the web post it here.

Well this site

http://www.rgcd.co.uk/shop/

has produced several original GBA carts. I wonder how they did it exactly?
HellHammer
64-bit

Post by HellHammer »

Ziggy587 wrote: Games I have guides for are Secret of Mana 2, Bahamut Lagoon, Rockman and Forte (Megaman and Bass), Clock Tower, Tales of Phantasia, and Treasure Hunter G.

Wow. That's a ton of games, haha. How awesome.

I'm glad you were able to get this up and running so quickly!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

^ The way I am with everything. I either have to go crazy with it or I end up losing interest and abandoned it.

noiseredux wrote:Well this site [link] has produced several original GBA carts. I wonder how they did it exactly?

Usually some one that is selling something will be unwilling to share the info on how to make the product. If they're professional they probably had the PCB and all made up for them. I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to desolder a chip of a GBA and put one back on. Like I said though, if you can find a guide or something post it here and I will look into. I just imagine GBA carts to be VERY hard to work with due to the size. I can barely hold me hand steady on a SNES as it is lol.

DaPerv wrote:if you want a good label for starfox 2, i got one you can use.

That be great. I'd like to have a few labels for each game, maybe people would like to choose which one they want. Of course people could use their own custom labels as well.

RadarScope1 wrote:I'm very much interested. All the games you've mentioned would be winners. Keep the prices reasonable and you'll probably have several customers on this forum.

My prices will be very competitive to most of the prices I've seen around the web. I'm not looking to rape people, I really don't think it's fair. I firmly believe that people that have the skills to do such things, should. It's half the reason I'm doing this. I really want to own an English Star Ocean cart, I'd hate for some d-bag to charge me $250 for it. I was just on a web site (link is saved on my other PC) that sells SNES repros. 1 for $250 or 2 for $450. Is that insane or what!? I also just found out today that Gamereproductions.com now has Star Fox 2 up for $100, I'm looking to sell a Star Fox 2 cart for around half that price. Like I was saying though, prices will vary between games mainly on how much it cost to build. But I will no way over charge for these, I'd like to make my prices fair for both the buyer and myself.

Progress report:

As I was typing this post out, a chip was programming. I picked up a nice power adapter from Radio Shit today. It's AV/DC with a number of different voltages. Perfect for my use, as different chips need different programming voltages.

Long story short, I looked over the manual a few times to make sure I got all the jumper settings right and than loaded in the Star Ocean image to program. It programmed 100% with out error, I am very happy. Now I'll just verify it program correctly and then I'll be good to go. I have tomorrow off so I'm looking to install this on a Star Ocean cart. Keep your fingers crossed.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

My guess on those GBA carts is that they're basically GBA-flash carts with a custom sticker. If that's the case, then the real question is, how did they get them cheap enough to sell em for less than $10 a piece?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

That is a good question. But usually things like that can be bought in wholesale for cheap. I'm sure a small flash card like that is next to nothing to make. Find the right supplier and you're set.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

That would be pretty badass. Think of all the weird abondonware and homebrew that could be "ported" to GBA!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

GREAT NEWS!

I finished wiring the Star Ocean cart and it works! I am extremely happy. The work was a lot harder than I thought. The solder pads for the mask ROM are so small I was forced to take breaks because my eyes would start bugging out.

But in any event, I have a DeJap patched ROM of Star Ocean working on a cart. I'm anxious to do Star Fox 2 now but I'm still waiting for all the parts to come in.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Sweet, I'm definitely pumped now.

Plus with your realistic price tag I don't see why anybody would go anywhere else.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Just thought I'd share a few labels I made and found...

This one I made myself.

This one I found on the internet, I forget where. It's basically the same but the picture part of the label is correctly positioned and sized (same as official SNES carts) but it's missing the Enix logo.

Another one I made myself.

This one was posted by the user WackyComputer on the LiquidNinjas.com forums.

Another one I made for myself. If any one has a flash cart from ToToTEK, here you go! My flash cart came in a Super Famicom cart, Super Dunk Shot, with a yellowed back. I can't wait to transfer it into a USA SNES cart with this label.

I have a lot of various labels I found on the internet saved on my computer, but I'm not about to upload them all. I found multiple labels for Terranigma, Secret of Mana 2, Tales of Phantasia, and maybe a few more I'm forgetting.

alexis524 wrote:i'd be in for terranigma.

There is a NTSC patch for this game. My original idea was to get a Terranigma PAL cart and modify it, but they were a little scarce on eBay. Maybe some of you from the PAL region can tell me, is this game common? I suspect that there just isn't many sellers that will ship to the USA, probably because you aren't able to play PAL games in a NTSC console. Anyway, I'm sure I'd be able to take the patched ROM and put it on a NTSC donor cart, I would just have to do a little more research.

Ack wrote:If you could figure out a way to do this with the game Live A Live

After reading more about this game, I really wanna play it now! I did a little research, I think I know how to make one now. Apparently all of the 32 or 36 pin mask ROMs in SNES games have the same pinouts, so it should just be a matter of finding the right donor cart and using a guide for a similar game.
Last edited by Ziggy on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.